Trying to move Windows from a HDD to a new SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cls413

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I recently got a new Samsung 750 Evo 500 Gb SSD and I want to just transfer windows to it and keep all the rest of my data on my HDD. I've found tutorials on you tube, but they only show how to transfer all of your data to the new drive by using some cloning software. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Basically this is the way I'd do it if I was migrating my OS. However, once you've backed up all your personal files, which you don't want to lose and after you make sure that you can boot to Windows with the SSD alone (with all other drives disconnected from the mobo), I'd recommend that you reformat the HDD, so that you have a fresh secondary storage drive with no traces of the old OS, programs and files. After that go ahead and put back the data you've backed up beforehand.

There's no point to backup programs and games (except for save game files). It's highly recommended that you install those from scratch.
Hi Cls413.

If you have separate partitions for Windows and data, then you should be able to clone just the OS associated partition over to your SSD. However, if everything's on a single partition, then I'm afraid you won't be able to do that if the total used space of the HDD is larger than the overall storage capacity of the SSD. So if this is the case, you'll have to trim down the data on your HDD.

Here's a pretty nice tutorial you can check on OS migration: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Cls413

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Thanks for the response. After looking at the article you suggested, I think the best way for me to do this is to transfer all my data from my HDD onto an external hard drive besides windows, and then delete everything besides windows from my HDD and then clone the drive to my SSD and then add all my files back to my HDD using the backup I made. Do you think this is the best way to go about this? Also, would completely removing everything from my almost full HDD then adding everything back mess anything up with the drive because it is rewriting a lot of data.

Thanks, Cls413

Basically this is the way I'd do it if I was migrating my OS. However, once you've backed up all your personal files, which you don't want to lose and after you make sure that you can boot to Windows with the SSD alone (with all other drives disconnected from the mobo), I'd recommend that you reformat the HDD, so that you have a fresh secondary storage drive with no traces of the old OS, programs and files. After that go ahead and put back the data you've backed up beforehand.

There's no point to backup programs and games (except for save game files). It's highly recommended that you install those from scratch.

Solution
May 17, 2019
Hi. I'm doing the same thing and I was wondering if I can just copy my files except windows from my HDD and drag it to my external HDD in file explorer or do I have to use some cloning software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS