Trying to overclock AMD Phenom II GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H Motherboard

midarkmind

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Hello, I am in need of some assistance with overclocking my CPU which is a (AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor) and my mobo is a (GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard). I have a BFG fan cooler, (COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP). I have had a few failed attempts at this. I think its because of two reasons. This is my first true motherboard with the capabilities and advanced configurations to pull it off. And the other being that these AMD chips are a known type that does not easily overclock. From my understanding I can tell that the AMD black editions were meant for the easy overclocking. Just go into the bios and you could see it in simple English how its done. While the others like mine were not necessarily designed for it. I really need to get this overclock to work. Can someone please help?

Here are the specs of PC:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
2 Cross-fired MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2T1K2/4G
XION Power Real XON-1250P14HE 1250W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 / SSI v2.92 SLI 3 ways SLI supported.

midarkmind

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
WOW. Thanks but no thanks for the help. Anyways this is what I learned.

OK I tried it and this is what happened...

No voltages would work past the normal 1.8v. I tried 1.9 up to 2.2. No go...
I was pissed. I was thinking that newegg had gotten me again with false advertising and I was cursing Gigabyte and Kingston! However I was using other people’s timings and voltages and I thought that it would work the same on my configuration too. That was not the case. Heck the manufacture states they work with 5.5.18.5 at 1.8v to 5.5.15.5 at 2.2v. When I raised the voltage it simply wouldn't post. So I came across someone that stated that they had them running at 1066mhz with no voltage increase or timing changes. Strange so I tried it without increasing voltage and it worked! I tried this before and it didn’t work. However this time I changed the timings manually to 5.5.18.5. Also my FSB was raised too because of the CPU overclock. That must have made the difference. Sadly I was only able to increase them to 960Mhz =/ Because I have a locked multiplier on my CPU therefore I was not able to match the highest speeds of the FSB and CPU and RAM all together perfectly. One time they did start at 1279MHz but is was short lived. Anyways I am good with this overclock and learned a hard lesson about buying a locked CPU.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. In your first post you are talking about OCing the CPU and in your new post you are talking about OCing your RAM (including the timings).

Some advice:

First of all as you learned you will very rarely be able to plug someone else's OC settings into your board and have it work, even if you have identical systems. On top of that you learn nothing from it and still cannot attempt to make those settings stable because you have no idea what you are doing by using someone else's settings.

Secondly, yes OCing a locked processor is harder than an unlocked one but not impossible. My first advice to you is not to OC too many things at one time. That means when you raise the FSB to increase your CPU frequency you need to set the multiplier lower on everything else related to it, namely the RAM. If you OC too many things at the same time then it is near impossible to pin point exactly what is causing system instability.

midarkmind

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
This post has been here forever and now that I finally answer my own post, some fool thinks its time to just chime in with "I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here" You know it would have been better if you didn't reply with a vague ass sarcastic remark that wouldn't help anyone in our life time. just so you know, I already figured out how to overclock the Processor with someones help on youtube. At least he was kind enough to give me a reach around. Thanks bro, your a damn tech king. ;-/

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
So you are telling me that in a matter of less than 3 weeks you have learned everything there is to know about overclocking and don't need anymore help? Well I am damn impressed, I continue to learn new things everyday so I guess I just pale in comparison to you.

I stand by my original statement as apparently you took it very literally. Yes I do understand that your goal is to overclock. However like I said previously your first comment was about overclocking your processor. Your new comment is about overclocking you RAM which are 2 very different things, especially if you are going to bring timings into it.

Oh and don't blame me for the fact that you were surprised when no one answered your post. Some people (most of us on TH that know a thing or 2) believe that you should put a little time and research into something on your own before you go and ask questions about it. A.k.a. posting things like, "Hello, I am in need of some assistance with overclocking my CPU..." and expecting someone to figure it out for you, doesn't usually get a lot of responses. If you aren't willing to put some effort into it yourself then don't be upset when other people aren't willing to take time out of there lives to put the effort in for you.

Even if you thought my post was irrelevant to what you are doing or have done/tried I did not expect to get a response like that back. I personally have put way too many hours into overclocking my processor. Seeing as how I am rocking an AMD as well and a gigabyte mobo I thought that I could possibly help you out and/or learn more about what worked and what didn't for someone else. Apparently I was wrong and I will move onto talking to the rest of the people on TH who seem to be a lot more open to discussion that you are.

P.S. I am happy you learned how to OC on youtube because now you still don't know anything about overclocking and your system is probably unstable. Good luck with that.

darussian12

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
that was funny....but yes the ddr2 ram and the 5xxx series gpu and few year old quad core cpu all combine the make the OP rig so much better then the 6 core with 8gb of ddr3 ram and current gen 6xxx series GPU with pretty much the same board ...but i always enjoy finding the TH posts after googling my issues and this one was great for the entertainment value

midarkmind

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Thanks. I lost the user name to this account. But because you replied with your smarmy remarks I was able to get it back. At least you were good for something. And by the way I overclocked my CPU and RAM a hell of a lot more since then and I stepped up to a MSI GTX 580 3G extreme edition. Your GPU isn't worth toilet paper. Now that I'm done wiping up this tread its time to flush! Later hater!