Question Trying to overclock corsair vengeance 3200mhz 2x16gb

Sep 7, 2019
Hey guys,

Second post in one day :/ not a great day!

I have ryzen 5 3400g, msi mpg x570 gaming Pro carbon and corsair vengeance 2 x18 3200mhz cl16

The ram speed is only reaching 2133mhz in the bios. Any overclocking attempt has no affect.

Am I missing a setting. I have loaded a-xmp and altered speeds and voltages still no change.

Any knowledge or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Are you using the Expert view mode in the BIOS?

I would make sure you have the most recent BIOS version, and then do a hard reset, and then set XMP, and make sure to save settings before you exit the BIOS. Also, any time you make a change to a field in the BIOS that is not strictly a drop down menu choice, be sure to hit enter afterwards to set whatever it is you entered in that field. Sometimes just entering it and clicking someplace else is not enough. You need to type the entry, then hit enter, and then click elsewhere and then save settings and exit.

I'm sure you know all this, but have to say it anyhow because you never know.

Sep 7, 2019
Do you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Are you using the Expert view mode in the BIOS?

I would make sure you have the most recent BIOS version, and then do a hard reset, and then set XMP, and make sure to save settings before you exit the BIOS. Also, any time you make a change to a field in the BIOS that is not strictly a drop down menu choice, be sure to hit enter afterwards to set whatever it is you entered in that field. Sometimes just entering it and clicking someplace else is not enough. You need to type the entry, then hit enter, and then click elsewhere and then save settings and exit.

I'm sure you know all this, but have to say it anyhow because you never know.

Ok, so he managed to over clock it a little first without Xmp realizing that he could reach 2733mhz. He then used Xmp and reached the same speed but any higher than this it reverts to the 2133mhz speed. since I'm currently using a CPU with integrated graphics this has made a huge difference to frame rates but we are still unable to hit the 3200mhz at which this RAM is rated. Is this something that I need to deal with or do you think there an issue somewhere? (maybe compatibility?)

Expert mode is in use and we did update the BIOS after a little hesitation to the latest update which is a beta update.

Thanks again.

BTW I am completely new to all this overclocking stuff. I have built a PC before but this is a new project and I thought I would use an APU till I got enough cash together to buy a separate GPU.

Sep 7, 2019
I would try manually configuring the memory settings.

Set the speed to 3200mhz. Set the timings to 16-18-18-36. Set the voltage to 1.35-1.36v. Leave all other memory settings on auto. Save settings, exit bios.

I tried this yesterday, anything over 2733mhz will result in it kicking back to 2133mhz. However I will try again tonight.

Interestingly enough I managed to gain a fair amount of performance by lowering the timings whilst it is running at 2733mhz.

Surely this kit should run at 3200mhz though on this mobo with this cpu?

I may contact MSI later today and see if I receive a response.

Thanks again.

Sep 7, 2019
I tried this yesterday, anything over 2733mhz will result in it kicking back to 2133mhz. However I will try again tonight.

Interestingly enough I managed to gain a fair amount of performance by lowering the timings whilst it is running at 2733mhz.

Surely this kit should run at 3200mhz though on this mobo with this cpu?

I may contact MSI later today and see if I receive a response.

Thanks again.
OK so I checked the compatibility list on the MSI website for ram compatible with the processor and the motherboard... The corsair ram I have is not in the list. I have ordered compatible g. Skillz ripjaws v. I will see if these meet the specs listed. The other ram I will return to amazon from which I ordered them.

If we ever used the QVL list to buy RAM, it would exclude 90% of the memory that's out there that COULD work other than not being on the list. QVL list is only a sampling of units that were actually tested as being able to POST in a given motherboard. They are not all inclusive. They do not intend to suggest that only those modules are officially supported for use on a given board and they are certainly not indicative of being the only modules you should use. They are also not representative of actual SPEEDS being verified. So if you see a memory kit listed on a QVL list, ALL, ALLL that means is they used those modules on that board and it would POST at the default configuration which for most systems is 2133mhz. Some might default to 2400 or 2666mhz. Word is that some newer Ryzen boards might default to 3200mhz with some memory kits, but the QVL list will have only been tested at the default speed. So if you see a 3000, 3200, 3400mhz kit on there it does not mean that they tested those DIMMs at that speed. It ONLY means that they've been verified to work at the base speed, whatever that happens to be.

Sep 7, 2019
If we ever used the QVL list to buy RAM, it would exclude 90% of the memory that's out there that COULD work other than not being on the list. QVL list is only a sampling of units that were actually tested as being able to POST in a given motherboard. They are not all inclusive. They do not intend to suggest that only those modules are officially supported for use on a given board and they are certainly not indicative of being the only modules you should use. They are also not representative of actual SPEEDS being verified. So if you see a memory kit listed on a QVL list, ALL, ALLL that means is they used those modules on that board and it would POST at the default configuration which for most systems is 2133mhz. Some might default to 2400 or 2666mhz. Word is that some newer Ryzen boards might default to 3200mhz with some memory kits, but the QVL list will have only been tested at the default speed. So if you see a 3000, 3200, 3400mhz kit on there it does not mean that they tested those DIMMs at that speed. It ONLY means that they've been verified to work at the base speed, whatever that happens to be.

Far out! So how do I actually find a kit that will run at 3200... Or it is not possible? maybe I should stick with the 2733mhz I am getting with the corsair sticks. I don't understand how it can be almost a complete gamble when you buy ram. This is a big learning curve!

Nah, I'd actually try the Ripjaws or a Trident Z kit. They tend to be compatible with almost all boards regardless of board model, in a lot more cases than many other brands. Corsair's Vengeance and Dominator kits are usually pretty good too, but nobody hits on all cylinders ALL the time.

Sep 7, 2019
Nah, I'd actually try the Ripjaws or a Trident Z kit. They tend to be compatible with almost all boards regardless of board model, in a lot more cases than many other brands. Corsair's Vengeance and Dominator kits are usually pretty good too, but nobody hits on all cylinders ALL the time.

OK thanks,
I'll let you know how I get on. I was going to go tridents right at the start but it came down to availability. I'll see how I go with the ripjaws, I see they are recommended in a few places and they are on the compatibility list (I know you say this isn't an issue but it will help my peace of mind).

Would you recommend any articles or guides to overclocking? I have had a read of a few to try and get my head around what all the timings mean and do etc.

Some of the Ripjaws are just as good as the high end Trident Z sticks, and some Ripjaws are actually BETTER than some Trident Z kits. It just matters what kit it is and what ICs (Memory chips) were used on that specific kit. There are Trident Z kits that don't use Samsung B-die ICs while there are some Ripjaw sticks that do, making them better than the Trident Z sticks that don't. But in general, Trident Z sticks are better. Ripjaws are still very good though.

Sep 7, 2019
OK,
Finally got it, I sent the corsair vengeance Pro back. Got some g. Skill trident Neo... They did the exact same thing. As a last attempt I swapped them for some ripjaw v's that a mate had and they are now running at 3200mhz with a slightly slower timing and they bench mark slightly higher. The performance maybe wasn't worth the hassel but at least it is running how it should.

Thanks again.