[SOLVED] Trying to overclock my 2666 to 3200mhz

May 12, 2021
Hello, I hop everyone is doing well.
So I'm questioning if The oc from 2666 to 3200 is safe, my ram is adata 2666mhz no heat sink, I'm worried if the ram will get overheated after the OC.

Solution
Excuse me sir but my question was not about the ICs or the voltage cuz I know these stuff, It was about is it safe to push my ram to 3200mhz. I already did overclock my ram before to 3000mhz and it was stable.
Safe voltage is whatever the manufacturer lists in their XMP profile, usually 1.35v. After that, it's on your risk. Every IC-modell (Samsung B-die, Hynix AFR etc) has a different limit for voltage. And the only way to OC is to increase voltage.
So safe depends on what voltage you would be required to run. If it's 1.4 volts, sure, go ahead. But if it's 1.5+ volts, not so much.
For example, IIRC, my Hynix AFR don't like anything over 1.4 volts. The RAM gets unstable. But B-die can handle 1.5 volts. So it does matter.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
May 12, 2021
That's one dude. View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/oo2pwx/is_this_good_and_is_15v_safe_for_ddr4/

Safe? Overclocking is never safe. You can corrupt your OS, eventually kill your RAM if you run high voltage etc. RAM also don't like heat, try to keep it under 50-55 C.
Find out what ICs you have (with Thaiphoon burner) and check if theres some info about them here: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/wiki/ram/ddr4

Excuse me sir but my question was not about the ICs or the voltage cuz I know these stuff, It was about is it safe to push my ram to 3200mhz. I already did overclock my ram before to 3000mhz and it was stable.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Safe voltage is whatever the manufacturer lists in their XMP profile, usually 1.35v. After that, it's on your risk. Every IC-modell (Samsung B-die, Hynix AFR etc) has a different limit for voltage. And the only way to OC is to increase voltage.
So safe depends on what voltage you would be required to run. If it's 1.4 volts, sure, go ahead. But if it's 1.5+ volts, not so much.
For example, IIRC, my Hynix AFR don't like anything over 1.4 volts. The RAM gets unstable. But B-die can handle 1.5 volts. So it does matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution
Hello, I hop everyone is doing well.
So I'm questioning if The oc from 2666 to 3200 is safe, my ram is adata 2666mhz no heat sink, I'm worried if the ram will get overheated after the OC.
It depends on what you consider safe. It's safe in terms of there will be no damage done trying to reach your target frequency. The system may or may not boot or be unstable.
Your RAM may or may not have an overclocking profile such as XMP.
What is unsafe is the voltage you choose in Bios if you decide to program SPD manually. Heat is generated by voltage so stay within the manufacturers spec and you will be OK.