Question Trying to overclock my Laptop GPU. GPU Tweak 3 Settings wont apply, and MSI Afterburner wont OC Scan

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
I just started working on overclocking my laptops GPU its an nvidia geforce 1650. I used both MSI Afterburner and GPU Tweak 3.

Unfortuneately MSI Afterburners OC Scanner doesnt work. GPU Tweak 3's Does However it doesnt seem to apply the clocks properly afterwords, It overclocks by about 50% from base clock of 1395 up to 2010.

Im wondering if I should Just manually copy the Curve from GPU Tweak 3 into MSI Afterburner Since it seems to actually apply the overclock/undervolt.

(I prefer to get the most performance and least power draw hence the undervolt, which is about -125mv)

Gpu temps are only at 55c (its the cpu that gets hot)

I just started working on overclocking my laptops GPU its an nvidia geforce 1650. I used both MSI Afterburner and GPU Tweak 3.

Unfortuneately MSI Afterburners OC Scanner doesnt work. GPU Tweak 3's Does However it doesnt seem to apply the clocks properly afterwords, It overclocks by about 50% from base clock of 1395 up to 2010.

Im wondering if I should Just manually copy the Curve from GPU Tweak 3 into MSI Afterburner Since it seems to actually apply the overclock/undervolt.

(I prefer to get the most performance and least power draw hence the undervolt, which is about -125mv)

Gpu temps are only at 55c (its the cpu that gets hot)
It's trying to stop you from melting it.

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
It's trying to stop you from melting it.

Lol, Normally I would agree except its temps are only 55c at 2010mhz core.

Also Im having another issue, While OC Scanner works.

The resulting overclock seems to immediately hit an 'Limiting Policies' so it doesnt even hit the gpu Boost block speed Let alone the Overclocked setting. (This is according to GPU Shark)

The Exact message is
-Limiting policies (NVIDIA):
- GPU power limit reached

The Core Clock never goes past 1455mhz.
fETX2km.png

Last edited:
I just started working on overclocking my laptops GPU its an nvidia geforce 1650.
It's such a bad idea to try overclocking a laptop.
Laptops have very limited thermal headroom (if any). Generally they are not designed for overclocking.
You're just going to kill it.

And it's not like desktop, where you can just change the damaged component. You'll have to get a new laptop.

Reactions: Corwin65

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
In plain words, don't.

performance gain would be negligble at best. Most gaming laptops have borderline cooling solution to begin with . Most of those solution have the same stack of heatpipes cooling chipset, cpu and gpu concurrently. gpu may survive a bit more heat, the other components may not. Additional radiated head within laptop chasis is very much a concern in scenarios like this. Many components like DC-DC converters are noly cooled by air flow induced by the tiny fans that push air across cooling fins on heatpipe coolers near exhaust but do not have any direct contact with the main cooling soultion. And that airflow is very limited to begin with.

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
So I determined what I really need is to decrease my Voltages. and MSI Afterburner doesnt let me set anything below 0.700 MV but my Gpu is instantly hitting its TDP whenever I do anything I need a Low power draw Gpu benchmark with Error checking. I was using OCCT But I think thats whats causing it to instantly hit the tdp.

No Idea how the hell I am supposed to test the stability of the gpu when it throttles itself at 50 watts but needs 50 watts to run at 99% load and can only do that at 1 power level under 700mv...

When Gpu hits tdp it falls back to 0.688mv and so I cant test the actual stability of the overclocked/undervolted settings.

Last edited:

jasonmbrown

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2012
ya just tried heaven, it seems to work better for testing since it doesnt throttle it immediately, although it still throttles it pretty quick. its the damn TDP limit otherwise i would be able to get a good 70% clock boost

I managed to mod My Vbios, however I havent tested it yet. It appears like it should work, however If it fails I don't have an SPI Flasher... If anyone has a flasher (or doesnt care about a brick) and wants to try the bios msg me.

Last edited: