[SOLVED] Trying to overclock ram but it's still running at 2133 MHz

Feb 21, 2020
Built my first PC and I'm trying to get my ram to run at 3200MHz.

I'm using a b450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard, Ryzen 7 2700x CPU, and Trident RGB 32GB 3200MHz ram (F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX)

Tried manually overclocking using DRAM calculator but ram still runs at 2133MHz.

Using the 2933 or 3200MHz XMP profiles doesn't work and computer doesn't boot up when selecting either of them.

Any suggestions?

Solution
And this is exactly the problem, just as I said earlier. If G.Skill says THEY don't sell a memory kit in that capacity, at that speed, with that number of DIMMs, that works on a specific board, then the chances are HIGHLY likely that they don't. I have seen one or two occasions in the past when I was able to get memory that was not supposedly able to work at ALL with a certain board or chipset, to work with it, and I've gotten plenty of models to work that they didn't specifically say was compatible, but if they say NO models of a given memory type, such as those 16GB dual rank sticks, will work, you can pretty much bet that they won't work otherwise they'd have them listed as compatible.

The motherboard QVL, is a different story...
Built my first PC and I'm trying to get my ram to run at 3200MHz.

I'm using a b450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard, Ryzen 7 2700x CPU, and Trident RGB 32GB 3200MHz ram (F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX)

Tried manually overclocking using DRAM calculator but ram still runs at 2133MHz.

Using the 2933 or 3200MHz XMP profiles doesn't work and computer doesn't boot up when selecting either of them.

Any suggestions?
Dual rank memory kits and configurations (4 modules or 2x16/32GB) will not run faster than 2933/3000 on Ryzen 2000 and some people apparently can't even get faster than 2666Mhz with their 2700/X. There are some dual rank kits that will run at 3200Mhz, but they are expensive or in short supply. It mostly comes down to the "silicon lottery" with the motherboard and the memory controller on the CPU.

What you should do first is update the motherboard bios to the newest version first, then try the memory again. Sometimes an update will allow kits to function properly when using XMP. If XMP won't work you can try manually setting the kit to 2933 with CL16-18-18-38 timings (leave all secondary timings on auto) and 1.35v. If 2933 does not work when manually set, try dropping to 2666 at CL14. There is also a setting called Memory Try It that has many different pre-configured speeds, timings and voltage and you should probably try using that before manually setting anything.

On my B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with a Ryzen 5 2600, I had to update the bios to use two of the same single rank kits with them currently running tweaked at 3000MT/s 14-14-13-28 timings at 1.35v. This is a 4x8GB configuration with Samsung B-die chips that I almost got working at 3200Mhz, but just never stabilized no matter how much I tweaked it. I think some features related to memory overclocking were removed in the newest bios update for the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

Last edited:
Built a system with this board last week with a ryzen 5 2600. Got the xmp to work at 3200MHz right away with samsung b-die corsair vengeance 2x8GB 3200MHz ram. It was a gamble tho. When you order corsair vengeance you can get Hynix too.
2x8GB 3200MT/s will work fine and you can get up to 3466MT/s and possibly higher with 2x8GB using Samsung B-die, but the OP is running a 2x16GB dual rank memory kit.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I also have a 2700x running x570 and I haven't had any luck getting to 3200 speeds with 2x16 memory. I even switched to ballistix which was rated to work, but still no luck. most I've been getting to 100% reliability is 2933.

Yeah, I wish I knew this beforehand also. So you could try to stick to 2933, which is what the 2700x chips are rated for, and push down the timings to work the best with what you have.

2x8GB 3200MT/s will work fine and you can get up to 3466MT/s and possibly higher with 2x8GB using Samsung B-die, but the OP is running a 2x16GB dual rank memory kit.

And this is exactly the problem, just as I said earlier. If G.Skill says THEY don't sell a memory kit in that capacity, at that speed, with that number of DIMMs, that works on a specific board, then the chances are HIGHLY likely that they don't. I have seen one or two occasions in the past when I was able to get memory that was not supposedly able to work at ALL with a certain board or chipset, to work with it, and I've gotten plenty of models to work that they didn't specifically say was compatible, but if they say NO models of a given memory type, such as those 16GB dual rank sticks, will work, you can pretty much bet that they won't work otherwise they'd have them listed as compatible.

The motherboard QVL, is a different story. Plenty of sticks not listed there for ANY given board, that will work, but with the memory manufacturer, they CARE that you KNOW that every possible kit or stick is or is not compatible so that you will buy them.

The motherboard QVL, is a different story. Plenty of sticks not listed there for ANY given board, that will work, but with the memory manufacturer, they CARE that you KNOW that every possible kit or stick is or is not compatible so that you will buy them.
The OP never actually said how they were trying to manually overclock the ram. It's possible they did it incorrectly or forgot to change something. Even though G.Skill hasn't qualified the kit to work on the mtoherboard, the only real issue I can see with running the kit is that it was intended for Matisse, because you can run dual rank at 3200MT/s with Ryzen 3000. That doesn't mean it won't work with Ryzen 2000 at 2933MT/s and all that may be required is a bios update.

My B450 Gaming Pro Carbon came with the first bios release compatible with Matisse and required a bios update to use my original 2x8GB kit at 3200MT/s CL14. I never got around to using higher speeds because I decided to use the second kit I bought for a friend, but they no longer needed it for their build. I also bought the first kit fully intending to overclock manually since the XMP only has 3866 and 4000Mhz. Last year when I bought both kits, Samsung B-Die 3200-3600Mhz kits were going for $40-60 more than I paid, with the first kit being $105 and the second at $90. This kit is not on the QVL, but after updating the bios it works fine when manually set to 3200 CL14 2x8GB or 3000 CL14 4x8GB. https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225142

Solution
Feb 21, 2020
Based on G.Skill's memory configurator, that memory kit is not compatible with that motherboard.

In fact, they don't show ANY 2 x16gb kits to be compatible, which is unusual, but I've never seen their memory configurator be wrong when it comes to what THEY say is compatible.

I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. I looked online and saw people saying that QVL lists don't necessarily mean that a product will be incompatible and that it could mean it just wasn't tested. Looks like I'll have to settle for lower frequencies :(

Feb 21, 2020
Dual rank memory kits and configurations (4 modules or 2x16/32GB) will not run faster than 2933/3000 on Ryzen 2000 and some people apparently can't even get faster than 2666Mhz with their 2700/X. There are some dual rank kits that will run at 3200Mhz, but they are expensive or in short supply. It mostly comes down to the "silicon lottery" with the motherboard and the memory controller on the CPU.

What you should do first is update the motherboard bios to the newest version first, then try the memory again. Sometimes an update will allow kits to function properly when using XMP. If XMP won't work you can try manually setting the kit to 2933 with CL16-18-18-38 timings (leave all secondary timings on auto) and 1.35v. If 2933 does not work when manually set, try dropping to 2666 at CL14. There is also a setting called Memory Try It that has many different pre-configured speeds, timings and voltage and you should probably try using that before manually setting anything.

On my B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC with a Ryzen 5 2600, I had to update the bios to use two of the same single rank kits with them currently running tweaked at 3000MT/s 14-14-13-28 timings at 1.35v. This is a 4x8GB configuration with Samsung B-die chips that I almost got working at 3200Mhz, but just never stabilized no matter how much I tweaked it. I think some features related to memory overclocking were removed in the newest bios update for the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.

Thank you for the educative reply. I am currently on the latest bios. I am going to try to use the Memory Try it before trying to manually set to 2933 and 2666 as you have suggested.

Yes, using the Memory Try It function the sticks post up to 2800MHz. Can't get it to work with 2933MHz as of now.
Have you installed the newest bios for the motherboard from the MSI support page? The newest version is at the top of the bios list, version 7B85v1B. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-bios It's possible that even with the bios update, 2800MT/s may be the fastest you can get with your memory kit.

If programs crash randomly at 2800, you should download and follow the instructions to install memtest86 to a usb drive. https://www.memtest86.com/ On bootup, press F11 to enter the boot menu to select the usb drive as UEFI boot (it will have your USB drives brand and model name) and let it start its automatic test. Since the test will likely take somewhere around 8-10 hours to fully complete, cancel the test as soon as you see any errors. When you see errors, drop the speed to 2666 with 14-16-16-16-34 timings in Memory Try It and run the memtest again. Use 2666MT/s with 16-18-18 timings if 14-16-16 doesn't work.

You may not like the speed, but 2666MT/s should work without issue. If you really don't need 32GB, but want 3200MT/s, send the 32GB kit back for a refund and get a 2x8GB CL16 kit. Check the QVL under Ryzen 2000 (Pinnacle Ridge) to find a kit that is "certified" to work on the motherboard. If you still want 2x16GB at 2933MT/s, your best best is likely a Corsair kit, but you won't find them on the QVL. I suggest sorting by brand names if you have a preference or just search 3200Mhz and check off only supported speed to the right of the search box. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-mem-14

Corsair has ten or more 2 x16GB 3200mhz memory kits that show to be compatible with that Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard. I'm not sure why G.Skill doesn't list any as compatible.
Are you sure there are 2x16 kits on the QVL? I admittedly only had a few minutes to browse it, but it looked like everything was single modules that was listed as 16GB per module. Edit - I mean that I checked about 5 modules of different brands and they were all single 16GB modules from 2666-3333MT/s

Yeah, pretty sure.

Gfs1MtC.jpg