Question Trying to pin down reason for non-starting PC ?

jedthe bass

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
I replaced my PSU because I thought it was responsible for my PC not starting,and now I'm having the same problem.I've dismantled the PC and started from the beginning and its still the same.Can anyone explain this?The PSU is an Aresgame (I know) and comes with a little tester for the main power lead which is the equivalent to the bent paperclip method.The fans on my PC are powered solely from the PSU.When I connect the tester and switch on the PSU, the fans come on,yet when its plugged into the mobo with everything connected nothing happens.I know the PSU is working therefore,but dont get why it wont power the PC.Anyone any ideas or suggestions? First post BTW.Nice to make your acquaintance.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing or cryto?

PSU's provide different voltages (3, 5,12) to various host system components. So it can appear that aPSU is on and working when the PSU is really not fully functional.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

No a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltage(s) out of tolerance would make the PSU very suspect.

And remember that PSU's are built (as are many products) with a designed in EOL (End of Life). The PSU may be near or at that time.

FYI:

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/...t=Power supplies, often referred to,3.3 volts

jedthe bass

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
Thanx Ralston.To take your points in turn..The PSU is brand new,like literally yesterday,bought to replace a 'Justop' 400w model which I thought
was the problem.Its 500w and is a Aresgame,which have had some good reviews.
I do NO gaming whatsoever (Im 69) rather use the PC for general browsing and Youtube videos,surfing etc. It seems as if the new PSU is displaying the same fault as the old one,which,when you think about it may not have been faulty at all!
Unfortunately,with modern PSUs,for the sake of 'coolness' lets say, all connecting cables are generally black,as opposed to the older 'ketchup and mustard' type,where it was easier to identify a wire by its colour.
I'll check out the links you provided.Thank you

jedthe bass

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
Further to this thread I experimented a little today.I stripped the computer case and set the mobo up on the table.First,I connected an old HP mobo to the new PSU using the 12 pin connector and the CPU connector.I shorted the PWR switch contacts and on she came.Bleeps and all.I tried the same thing with the MSI mobo and got zilch.No sign of life whatsoever.Points to the PSI motherboard I think?

jedthe bass

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
Really?Why so? I base my Amazon purchases on customer reviews,and this unit got mainly 5 stars right thru the board.Also on Youtube,reviews were good.How do you define a 'quality unit?'