[SOLVED] Trying To Port Forward For A Public Minecraft Server

KiruseiNagisa

Reputable
Apr 28, 2020
Been trying to set up a public server so my friends could play minecraft together during these weird times.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable in networking . So far I've set up a server locally using the server.jar file that's available on the official minecraft website, I'm planning to play with them on the same PC that's hosting the server since I don't have another computer available to host it separately. My setup is my PC is connected to a Linksys router(EA6900) with an ethernet cable which is being used as an access point for my modem also connected with a cable which is the ARRIS NVG468MQ.

Once I got to the part where I had to port forward, I tried setting up everything by putting my PC's IP in the Device Address, and putting in 25565 in both Global Ports and Local Port
View: https://imgur.com/GBYCTrc

But once I put in all of this with the Public IP Address, my PC couldn't connect to the internet, or at least it said it was connected to the internet but every program that required a connection on my PC said there was no online connection.
I was able to reset the routers and restore the connection, but now I'm just at a loss on not knowing how to properly port forward.

Can someone help me and show what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Solution
Been trying to set up a public server so my friends could play minecraft together during these weird times.

I'm not exactly knowledgeable in networking . So far I've set up a server locally using the server.jar file that's available on the official minecraft website, I'm planning to play with them on the same PC that's hosting the server since I don't have another computer available to host it separately. My setup is my PC is connected to a Linksys router(EA6900) with an ethernet cable which is being used as an access point for my modem also connected with a cable which is the ARRIS NVG468MQ.

Once I got to the part where I had to port forward, I tried setting up everything by putting my PC's IP in the Device Address, and putting...

kanewolf

Titan

Once I got to the part where I had to port forward, I tried setting up everything by putting my PC's IP in the Device Address, and putting in 25565 in both Global Ports and Local Port
View: https://imgur.com/GBYCTrc

But once I put in all of this with the Public IP Address, my PC couldn't connect to the internet, or at least it said it was connected to the internet but every program that required a connection on my PC said there was no online connection.
I was able to reset the routers and restore the connection, but now I'm just at a loss on not knowing how to properly port forward.

Can someone help me and show what I'm doing wrong?
I don't think you want to put in a public IP address. Leave it blank. The display is not very clear, but that field is for the REMOTE IP address that is trying to access your port forward. You don't want to limit it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS