[SOLVED] Trying to portforward an archer c9

Mar 27, 2021
Hey guys never thought I'd be the one posting on toms but here I am. Im absolutely losing my marbles trying to portfoward off this TPlink archer c9, I've done everything I can possibly think of and google/youtube could tell me and still nothing. I went to the dhcp server tab and have my PC's ip set and the ports i want set forwarded however on any of the portcheckers none of them can be found. I even tried the 25565 minecraft port since im familiar with that from my younger days and still nothing. Had nothting but an annoying experience with this router any recommendations? Pic of ports: https://puu.sh/Ht8EH/d54e7fcea3.png

Mar 27, 2021
First, make sure you have a public IP. Second, try putting the server in the dmz. It should work there if your IP is public and your server is set up correctly.
How do i determine if my IP is public or private? My pc only runs to my router and the router goes to a device from my ISP that just changes it from cable to there fiber line

You need to find the ip assigned to your router wan port. You can look up what is a private ip range vs public but it tends to be much simpler to go to a site like whatsmyip. If the IP you see on your wan is different than whatsmyip then it is highly likely the ip on the wan is a private IP. If they are the same then you have a public IP.

Reactions: SamirD
Mar 27, 2021
You need to find the ip assigned to your router wan port. You can look up what is a private ip range vs public but it tends to be much simpler to go to a site like whatsmyip. If the IP you see on your wan is different than whatsmyip then it is highly likely the ip on the wan is a private IP. If they are the same then you have a public IP.
Well according to whatsmyip, that doesnt match anything on my routers WAN so im guessing its private, never run into this problem before how do i get a public ip?

Ask your ISP if they can give you one. Some ISP will give you one if you ask, other have a extra charge and some do not offer it. The only other way is to use a VPN service that assigns a non shared public IP. In general it is cheaper to just rent a minecraft server from a hosting center than messing the a VPN solution.

Reactions: SamirD
Mar 27, 2021
Ask your ISP if they can give you one. Some ISP will give you one if you ask, other have a extra charge and some do not offer it. The only other way is to use a VPN service that assigns a non shared public IP. In general it is cheaper to just rent a minecraft server from a hosting center than messing the a VPN solution.
So googling this Im still rather confused as I cant find alot of information on NOT having a public IP. Whatsmyip is supposed to display my public IP and I assume that means I have a public IP. But I dont see it in my router. This is a personal router not one from my ISP, so how would they assign me a public IP if I already have one? Just want to have a semblance of an idea what Im talking about before calling them up and sounding like an idiot

EDIT: Well I emailed them and did have a private IP, and they gave me a public IP however even in DMZ https://canyouseeme.org/ still timing out on anything

Last edited: