Question Trying to re-enable my laptops keyboard

Jan 12, 2020
Hello,
About 2 years ago my laptop started having issues with the keyboard.
The problem was that some of the keys were unresponsive or spammed the same letter a couple of times.
At the time I decided to disable/uninstall my in-built keyboard and use an external keyboard.
Unfortunately I don't remember how I disabled the in-built keyboard, but I succeeded.
2 years later and I'm trying to re-enable the keyboard.

The problem starts here, I've tried using the methods below, but none of them seem to work.
I've tried using device manager to update the drivers, then I uninstalled the drivers and allowed windows to reinstall them.
I tried using gpedit.msc to check if 'Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings' was enabled, but it was set to disabled.
P.S : I'm using Windows Home, so I had to install gpedit from the internet.

Sorry for the long-ish post, but I've been at this for hours and I simply don't know where to go from here.
Using an Asus GL502VMK

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020
Hi Adam,

Try and access the BIOS and see if you can turn on the laptop keyboard from there.

Hey Mohan,
I just accessed the BIOS, and I didn't find anything there for keyboard. Instead I only found that I could disable the touchpad.
jTHrh.jpg

(This photo is from the internet, but it's the exact same as my BIOS screen)

Anything else I could try?

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Does the keyboard not work at all or only in the BIOS?

Does the keyboard have any options to reset its settings to default?

Instead of installing the drivers for the keyboard, have you tried doing: update driver > browse my computer > and select the standard keyboard. OR have you gone onto the ASUS website and installing fresh drivers from there.

Try updating Windows and the BIOS.

Try this:
Remove the battery from your laptop.
Wait a few minutes, and connect your laptop with AC power cord directly.
Reboot your laptop and check if your keyboard works.

On Windows, go to settings > ease of access > keyboard> and turn off filter keys. Then restart.

Try to unplug everything first. Make sure the laptop is turned off. Hold the power button for 60 seconds.

Jan 12, 2020

Instead of installing the drivers for the keyboard, have you tried doing: update driver > browse my computer > and select the standard keyboard. OR have you gone onto the ASUS website and installing fresh drivers from there.

Try this:
Wait a few minutes, and connect your laptop with AC power cord directly.
Reboot your laptop and check if your keyboard works.

On Windows, go to settings > ease of access > keyboard> and turn off filter keys. Then restart.

Try to unplug everything first. Make sure the laptop is turned off. Hold the power button for 60 seconds.

The in-built keyboard doesn't work even in the BIOS. :/

The keyboard doesn't have any options to reset it's settings.

Instead of installing the drivers for the keyboard, have you tried doing: update driver > browse my computer > and select the standard keyboard.
Yes, I've done this and restarted my laptop, nothing changed.

Have you gone onto the ASUS website and installing fresh drivers from there.
I can't find any drivers for keyboard in my laptops model on their website.

I did as you said and updated by BIOS to the latest version, still nothing.

I'd rather not open my laptop, the battery is inside the frame.

I already switched off my filter keys long ago.

If they in-built keyboard doesn't work even in the BIOS, does it mean that it's pretty much dead?
if so, any idea what to do next?

D

Deleted member 14196

it sounds like you need a clean install of windows since you can't remember what you did to uninstall the kb

Jan 12, 2020
I meant that you unplugged it and forgot about it. If you don't see the keyboard in Device Manager it may have been disconnected or disabled in the BIOS if there is an option for that.
Nah, there isnt any option for that in the BIOS.
It seems like I gotta reset my laptop to see if itll fix it. If that doesnt fix it then the cable linking the motherboard to the keyboard might be either damaged or disconnected.

Still open to any more ideas please

Nah, there isnt any option for that in the BIOS.
It seems like I gotta reset my laptop to see if itll fix it. If that doesnt fix it then the cable linking the motherboard to the keyboard might be either damaged or disconnected.

Still open to any more ideas please

If it does not work in the BIOS screens it's not going to be an issue with Windows. But you may want to do a motherboard and BIOS reset by removing the main and CMOS battery and hold in the power button for 30 seconds.

Jan 12, 2020
If it does not work in the BIOS screens it's not going to be an issue with Windows. But you may want to do a motherboard and BIOS reset by removing the main and CMOS battery and hold in the power button for 30 seconds.

Will that have any effect on the data on my laptop? (will it like factory reset or erase data? )
What is the main that you're talking about btw? is it the main battery/power?

Did you maybe unplug the keyboard from the motherboard?
I have to agree weather you did yourself or through itself, sometime the little clip that holds the ribbon cable pops and keyboard is MIA to system. There are lots of youtube videos with just about every main model to show you how to get the keyboard off and re set ribbon cable. Just go slow and pay attention, that cable is fragile. LOTS OF LIGHT when you do it.

Last edited:
Okay than The only last suggestion is ...................you have an FN Key on the left of your keyboard next to your Windows Key.

You need to look at you manual to the page that tell you what your upper FN Keys " functions" do so you can locate correct F1, F2, F3.........................................

while holding down the lower FN Key with correct Top FN Key there should be one that lets your toggle your keyboard on or off.

Sorry if it sounds confusing I did my best to try to be clear.

Last edited:
Will that have any effect on the data on my laptop? (will it like factory reset or erase data? )
What is the main that you're talking about btw? is it the main battery/power?

It should not do anything to the data, resetting the BIOS just clears any changes you did to it. You may need to go in and set the drive mode if you get a boot error but it won't do anything to the drive itself. Yes the main batter is the main power battery, then there is a smaller CMOS battery in many systems inside you can disconnect.