[SOLVED] Trying to read old iMac HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SciFiGuy2014

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello, Trying to get my PC to read an old iMac (just before Intel chips) HD. For fun I took a shot at just plugging it into my PC to see if it could see anything there..nope. Is there an adapter cable or software to let me access the iMac's HD? I'm trying to get at some very old photos and it's just too much to move via DVD. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Unfortunately the old imac HDD is formated in mac (journal probably HFS) and windows will not see it because windows uses NTSF format. I would suggest you take that hard drive and plug it into a MAC and maybe do the transfer from the 2 computers using a USB key which is formated in FAT32 which both computers can read. Or maybe transfer the photos using the internet.

If those options are not good for you. You can try to use a HSF file explorer like : http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

I have never used it, feel free to give it a try and see if it works. it looks free.

good luck

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Unfortunately the old imac HDD is formated in mac (journal probably HFS) and windows will not see it because windows uses NTSF format. I would suggest you take that hard drive and plug it into a MAC and maybe do the transfer from the 2 computers using a USB key which is formated in FAT32 which both computers can read. Or maybe transfer the photos using the internet.

If those options are not good for you. You can try to use a HSF file explorer like : http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

I have never used it, feel free to give it a try and see if it works. it looks free.

good luck

Solution

SciFiGuy2014

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I tried getting it to talk to my PC and using a network connection, but the super-long names on iMac that we used them from moving over (no idea why).
As you said, trying a portable HD failed because of the different formats.
FINALLY GOT I!
I bought a 64G USB drive.
No real formatting so the iMac read it fine.
Zipped everything and just moved them onto the USB drive.
Plugged it into the PC and moved the zipped files over.
One thing - as they unzipped there were questions about encryption.
I just said to ignore the problem and everything unzipped just fine!
Now to wipe the iMac's HD with a system restore and sell it....
I'm just not an Apple person.
A fun experiment, but...not for me.
Thanks again.

ToineF

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Ah yes, are you talking about the long file names? I think mac allows longer one that windows. You might be right about that.

Now that you have all your photos transfered you can format your HD in NTSF and you can use it on your pc

I use to have macs too and i didn't really like it. I work in technical support in an office and they have several macs.... I'm not a huge fan either.

good luck

SciFiGuy2014

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

LOL. Thanks. Yes apparently after moving it from the iMac to the USB drive, when I transferred them to the PC Windows just truncated them...go figure. I agree about Macs. They are a marvel of engineering and all that, but for the price I can buy a truly amazing PC or build an even better one - and that second option is not available for Apple people...

Status
Not open for further replies.