Question Trying to recover data from HDD but it is showing obscene amount of data.

Aephious

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Trying to recover data off HDD but in both disk manager and the recovery software it is stating the drive has over 1000TB worth of un-allocated space on the drive. Yes, 1000 TB. When trying to recover, the software freezes for a second then gives a stack overflow error (ZAR X is the software in question). When trying to intialize and allocate the storage in disk management it is giving an error "Incorrect Function".

Some other details:
- HDD was pulled from a Seagate External Back-Up drive.

- When first plugged into my HDD reader it is giving out a mechanical noise that sounds like the platter is trying to be read, this goes on for a few seconds until it stops and the drive is recognized on my machine.

-ZAR X is the only software that I am aware of that is able to see the drive, EaseUS, Stellar, etc. do not pick up the drive.

- Issue first occurred when I was using a file from the drive which then froze and immediately after the drive lost power.

If anyone has any more info about this problem it would be greatly appreciated as this problem only happened to me one other time and that was from an empty drive but this one has some data on it that, although isn't that important, is nice to have around for reference.

Image for reference

May 14, 2019
The total sector size on the boot sector of the device may be corrupted
Try to use iBoysoft Data Recovery to recognize the device, if possible, use a deep scan of the device