Trying to recover data from nmve's in raid 0 (were previously in laptop)

djatarchon

Commendable
Aug 2, 2018
I had two nvme drives in raid 0 in an MSI laptop. The laptop's motherboard is dead and I'm trying to recover the data. The drives appear to be fine so it's a matter of getting them into a controller that can read them as raid 0.

The laptop: MSI GT72S DOMINATOR PRO G DRAGON-070
The drives are: 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Solid State Drive

The drives were screwed into some kind of enclosure. I removed the enclosure which seems capable of holding 4 drives. Both drives are plugged in:
https://i.imgur.com/j6GkXT2.png

I can't see any identifiable model/part number to look this up. I'm not sure if this is the raid controller or just some enclosure and the raid controller is part of the motherboard (my suspicion).

I'm tech savvy on desktops - at least as far as building, troubleshooting, etc. But this is my first time working on a laptop and nvme drives like this.

Questions:
1. Is this enclosure the raid controller and just needs to be hooked up to an nvme interface? Any suggestions on an external device that would work, or something I could plug into a desktop (or externally through usb/thunderbolt/etc.)

2. If I need to buy a separate enclosure, are there any suggestions?

I recall from desktop setups that not all raid controllers are the same. This may be old, outdated information though. I just don't want to run into a potential issue with buying a raid controller card and finding out that I need the same manufacturer as the MSI laptop had to get the drives to be compatible.

I'd be happy to upload more pics of the other side of the enclosure if it would help.

Thank you!

-Dan

Solution
If you are using BIOS raid, then the only sure thing of recovery YOUR RAID0 is using the same MSI laptop, proving the raid was working or have not damaged when your MSI went bad.
Why?
RAID volume is depended on RAID drives and chipset. I think it's a wasted time to try recover with different chipset/raid engine

FireWire2

Distinguished
If you are using BIOS raid, then the only sure thing of recovery YOUR RAID0 is using the same MSI laptop, proving the raid was working or have not damaged when your MSI went bad.
Why?
RAID volume is depended on RAID drives and chipset. I think it's a wasted time to try recover with different chipset/raid engine

Solution