[SOLVED] Trying to recover some files from my old pc

Sep 17, 2019
Hello everyone!

I've been trying to recover some files from my older pc and I've stumbled across a lot of problems
(It's a very old PC (OS: Windows 7)):

The first time that I booted the PC it led me to the user interface where you could select as which user you would like to start. I selected the only user on that PC and it was loading (Welcome...). I waited but it just froze.

I unplugged my PC and plugged it back in to try another time. But this time instead of booting and sending me to the user interface, it sent me to a black screen with a blinking cursor/underscore at the top left. I thought that a cable must have disconnected from the motherboard or something, so I checked and all the cables we're connected well. I assumed it couldn't boot so I thought it was the HDDs fault. But now that I think about it I'm not quite sure because it booted to the user interface the first time.

I installed Windows 10 (the boot files) on a 14GB Stick and booted my PC through the stick. It did work so I thought it must have actually been the HDD. I didn't finish the setup and I opened Command Prompt just out of curiosity to check if my HDD had files on it, or was completely empty by using notepad (I pressed FILE, OPEN and checked through the explorer). I was so confused when I saw the HDD wasn't even being detected in the file explorer, yet BIOS/The Boot Menu was saying that the SMART Status of the HDD was "ok" and there is a Hard Drive plugged in SATAII 1... or 2... or 3 or 4 because I tried all of them and made sure that they were all enabled in BIOS.

So I closed notepad and file explorer to check diskpart and offcourse only the USB was being detected. I tried proceeding the Windows 10 download procedure but sadly couldn't because Windows 10 couldn't be installed on the Partition I made on my VDISK on my USB.

One thing I also noticed was the fact that my HDD was getting hot so something was actually happening in there. I also tried something with System-Restore and Startup fix in Windows 10 Troubleshooting, yet neither of them worked. I tried connecting the HDD with another SATA cable but without success. Do you know how the cable that comes of the PSU has multiple "plugs" to plug into more HDDs? I tried all of these "plugs" and neither of them worked either.

Maybe I've been focusing on the wrong component and it's not the HDD, or maybe it was a virus that infected my drive. I hope you guys can help me out.

Thank you!

Solution
I would try and connect the HDD to another PC and get the files that way. Makes sure that PC is set to boot of it's normal OS drive and not the drive you are trying to get files from.
Sep 17, 2019
You're welcome. When it boots to the OS of the machine you put it in....you should be able to see all the files on drive you added and you should be able to move them.

I've done exactly what you told me and I got one step further; my explorer detected the HDD. Sadly it doesn't show me the data on it (it doesn't show how much space is occupied either). When I double-click on it explorer just crashes and diskpart loads forever until I plug it out.

It seems that the HDD is being detected by the system, but the data on it can't be read...
Is there anything I could possibly do to get to that data?

Thanks again.

I've done exactly what you told me and I got one step further; my explorer detected the HDD. Sadly it doesn't show me the data on it (it doesn't show how much space is occupied either). When I double-click on it explorer just crashes and diskpart loads forever until I plug it out.

It seems that the HDD is being detected by the system, but the data on it can't be read...
Is there anything I could possibly do to get to that data?

Thanks again.
I think there might be something wrong with the drive.....as it should work.
If the data is super important, you might consider having it professionally looked at.
If it isn't that important.....you might try tapping on a drive to get it to work. I have gotten drives to work this way.....although it's not exactly an "approved of" method.

Sep 17, 2019
The pictures are quite a bit important to me but I know I haven't tried every option so I will keep trying to fix it. But thanks a lot for helping me out anyway. I wouldn't have thought plugging it into another PC would bring me one step closer.

I'll keep updating if I manage to solve it.