Trying to remove one processor on MPS WinNT 4 ......

but when I do an upgrade, it keeps installing the MPS HAL, even after I do a
parallel install and copy hal.dll over - apparently there are more files or
registry entries that determine a MPS. Where exactly is the MPS HAL defined
in the system? Is it in the kernel.exe?

You might try the /onecpu and /numproc= switch options in boot.ini

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/bootini.shtml

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mike Matheny" wrote:
| but when I do an upgrade, it keeps installing the MPS HAL, even after I do
| parallel install and copy hal.dll over - apparently there are more files
or
| registry entries that determine a MPS. Where exactly is the MPS HAL
defined
| in the system? Is it in the kernel.exe?

Do not forget to replace hal related records in repair\setup.log file. These
are used as reference for update.

"Mike Matheny" <tmatheny@emsdotjscdotnasadotgov> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
> but when I do an upgrade, it keeps installing the MPS HAL, even after I do
> parallel install and copy hal.dll over - apparently there are more files
or
> registry entries that determine a MPS. Where exactly is the MPS HAL
defined
> in the system? Is it in the kernel.exe?

George,

For Windows 2000 those hex values following the file names within
%windir%\repair\setup.log are check sum values. Apparently for security/
hack reasons. So anyway there is no way to know what it should be (for
hall.dll) without dynamically checking the file. I ended up doing an API
call and doing it this way. Do you know of another way that one can recreate
the setup.log file?

Err Msg: Service Pack Setup Could Not Find the Setup.log File...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q175960

Option Explicit

Private Const CHECKSUM_SUCCESS = 0
Private Const CHECKSUM_OPEN_FAILURE = 1
Private Const CHECKSUM_MAP_FAILURE = 2
Private Const CHECKSUM_MAPVIEW_FAILURE = 3
Private Const CHECKSUM_UNICODE_FAILURE = 4

Private Declare Function MapFileAndCheckSum Lib "imagehlp.dll" _
Alias "MapFileAndCheckSumA" _
(ByVal Filename As String, _
HeaderSum As Long, _

CheckSum As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()

Dim sFile As String
Dim sHeader As Long
Dim sCalcd As Long

sFile = "D:\windows\system32\hal.dll"
If MapFileAndCheckSum(sFile, sHeader, sCalcd) = CHECKSUM_SUCCESS Then
MsgBox "header checksum: " & sHeader & ", calculated checksum: " &
sCalcd
MsgBox Hex(sCalcd)
End If

End Sub