Trying to Replace Hard Drive with SSD. Error After Error. Everything is Going Wrong.

Jul 21, 2018
I just bought an SSD and initially tried to migrate all my data from my hard drive onto the SSD. I tried EZ Gig IV and Macrium and got "Clone Failed" both times with no explanation. So I ran CHKDSK and restarted my computer, but CHKDSK got stuck at 11% so I gave up on that. At this point I decided to just clean-install Windows 10 on the SSD and start from scratch, but when I tried to download the Media Creation Tool I got the error: "There was a problem starting setup," so I try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Lo and behold, "An error occurred while troubleshooting. A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." I'm pretty frustrated at this point. I've even tried getting the Media Creation Tool from another computer, and although it got further than my computer did, I still got an error in the middle of downloading it onto my flash drive. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Solution
If your original drive is/was having issues, this can easily cause issues when attempting to clone....

Use MS' Media Creation Tool on a functioning computer to try the Creation Tool again to another known good USB flash drive at least 8 GB in size...

Or you can see if a checkdisk will eventually finish, but, if you need data from this drive, I'd be trying to get it off ASAP...(if drive is truly failing, running lengthy scans/check disks usually accelerates the speed in which it will reach total failure)
If your original drive is/was having issues, this can easily cause issues when attempting to clone....

Use MS' Media Creation Tool on a functioning computer to try the Creation Tool again to another known good USB flash drive at least 8 GB in size...

Or you can see if a checkdisk will eventually finish, but, if you need data from this drive, I'd be trying to get it off ASAP...(if drive is truly failing, running lengthy scans/check disks usually accelerates the speed in which it will reach total failure)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS