Discussion Trying to RMA a dead PNY RTX 4000 and getting pushback saying the power supply "surge" killed the card.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
First off I am fighting this response from them. They have zero proof this was from a surge, especially since the placeholder graphics card is working fine in the same system with the same power supply. Any component on a very complex PCB like a graphics card can go short circuit and kill one or several other components. Also to be clear, there is a visibly burnt component on the PCB (I can provide pics). Do they have a leg to stand on or are they trying to bully me out of an RMA in a very constrained GPU market?
View: https://i.imgur.com/thlRlaN.png

thlRlaN.png

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
They push in one way...what proof do you have that the PSU is not the cause?

What power supply was it?
The rest of the system works fine and the PSU is still pumping away with the placeholder GPU, lol. Consumer gets the benefit of the doubt in this case right? How can they say the power supply did it from a single photo I sent them of the card?

rtx 4000?
Quadro.

USAFRet

Titan
The rest of the system works fine and the PSU is still pumping away with the placeholder GPU, lol. Consumer gets the benefit of the doubt in this case right? How can they say the power supply did it from a single photo I sent them of the card?
The consumer does NOT always get the benefit of the doubt.

The unknown placeholder GPU may be much less power consumptive than the dead one.

This is between you and the warranty team, and they appear to be winning.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The consumer does NOT always get the benefit of the doubt.

The unknown placeholder GPU may be much less power consumptive than the dead one.

This is between you and the warranty team, and they appear to be winning.
RTX 4000 from GPU Database
TDP 160W
Suggested PSU 450W
Pretty sure the EVGA 650W G2 is yawning while powering a RTX4000

First off I am fighting this response from them. They have zero proof this was from a surge, especially since the placeholder graphics card is working fine in the same system with the same power supply. Any component on a very complex PCB like a graphics card can go short circuit and kill one or several other components. Also to be clear, there is a visibly burnt component on the PCB (I can provide pics). Do they have a leg to stand on or are they trying to bully me out of an RMA in a very constrained GPU market?
View: https://i.imgur.com/thlRlaN.png

thlRlaN.png

Unless you have a better way, then I would write them back and tell them lm been forced to start a social media campaing about what happend with my card and what a pathetic response I got from thier support after trusting on their brand.
I would even go as far as to tell them I'm going to make contact with a few well known reviewers I follow and offer them to send my broken GPU and my working PSU for them to show to everyone who wana see that the brand may not be the best chocie if you want a support team that stand by you when you need them most.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The theoretical wattage capacity of the PSU does not automatically negate a faulty PSU killing some other parts.

EVGA PSUs are known for being 'not really good'.
aQIVXEV.png

EVGA Power Supply's are known for "not being good"? Can you elaborate on that? Because as far as I was concerned, the G2/G3 were legendary models made on the Superflower Leadex platform.

Do you work for PNY because you sound awfully in favor of the Power supply being the culprit with zero evidence. <Mod Edit> the little guy and hurray corporate greed.

Last edited:
The rest of the system works fine and the PSU is still pumping away with the placeholder GPU, lol.
Spike doesn't mean the PSU is broken and doesn't work it just means that the PSU allowed a spike to go through their over power protections, if it's not a very good PSU this can easily happen.
And it also means that it could destroy other components as well the longer you use it.
How can they say the power supply did it from a single photo I sent them of the card?
How can a company that made a card and has been making cards for 40 years tell that a component they used is used for a specific reason?
If this component can only burn out from external power then it can only have burnt out from external power.
And this component literally blew up, which can only happen if there is a high amount of power applied directly to it.
If it wasn't a spike from your psu then you have a blank live cable flopping around your case that touched the gpu.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Spike doesn't mean the PSU is broken and doesn't work it just means that the PSU allowed a spike to go through their over power protections, if it's not a very good PSU this can easily happen.
And it also means that it could destroy other components as well the longer you use it.

How can a company that made a card and has been making cards for 40 years tell that a component they used is used for a specific reason?
If this component can only burn out from external power then it can only have burnt out from external power.
And this component literally blew up, which can only happen if there is a high amount of power applied directly to it.
If it wasn't a spike from your psu then you have a blank live cable flopping around your case that touched the gpu.
So you're saying PNY is perfect and there's no way the component could have gone bad on it's own? Also, if the 12v rail spiked so bad that a component on the GPU burst into flames, how did the motherboard, CPU and other components that rely on the 12v rail survive? Man, Amazing how many people don't want me to get my RMA lol. At least reddit has my back View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/r1eqg2/trying_to_rma_a_dead_pny_rtx_4000_and_getting/

For me it shoulnd't matter what PSU you have, if its Tier A or Tier Z. It would matter for another conversation perhaps, but not for this.

They don't specify anything about PSU quiality, as long as the PSU in question have at least 1 PCIe 8 PIN power connector and can provide 18A should suffice (https://www.pny.com/file library/company/support/product brochures/nvidia quadro/quadro-power-guidelines.pdf). Far as I know the EVGA 650 G2 can do way over 18A on the 12v rail.

They even go as far as to write that its ok to use power adapters, which we all know is never a good idea, and should be avoided by all means if posible.

So you're saying PNY is perfect and there's no way the component could have gone bad on it's own? Also, if the 12v rail spiked so bad that a component on the GPU burst into flames, how did the motherboard, CPU and other components that rely on the 12v rail survive? Man, Amazing how many people don't want me to get my RMA lol. At least reddit has my back
Going bad on its own and outright exploding are two extremely different things.

If this component sits on the additional power input and got too much power from there then anything else not on the same cable would still work fine.
Just an example of what could have happened.