Trying to run ethernet cable up to my room...

noxnoctum

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm renting an apartment with a couple others guys and I want direct access to the router but I need a way to run the ethernet cable up stairs to my PC in my room. We're not allowed to make any changes to the house (drilling holes etc.) so does anyone have any ideas on ways to how get it to my room without causing any permanent changes/damage to anything? I was thinking if there was some kind of way to run along the wall edges with some kind of clamp or something? I'm not really into DYI so I don't really know where to start.

Thanks for any suggestions.

If nobody in your place cares that you have wires strung along the wall that blue masking tape used for painting will hold pretty well and come off without causing any damage to the walls.

You may want to look at powerline networks if your roommates have issues with cables being strung all over the place.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

A good quality staple gun will allow you to quickly and neatly run network cable. You'll have to use some care not to staple through the jacket.
http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Voltage-Staple-4-Inch-Wires/dp/B00004Z2JX/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Running the cable along the baseboards and in wall and ceiling corners will help keep the cable less noticeable.

As mentioned previously, powerline network adapters are a good option to cat5.