Trying to run my guitar through sound card...Volume very low

jbpro74

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I'm trying to run my guitar through my x-fi xtreme music sound card but the volume is very low. I have my line in slider maxed out. Are there some hidden settings I need to goto to get the volume cranked up or is this all I get???

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
CPU: AMD ATHALON 64 3800+
MEMORY: 2GB OCZ PLATINUM DDR400 PC 3200(2-3-2-5)
VIDEO CARD: PNY GEFORCE 7900GT
HARD DRIVE: WD CAVIAR 120GB 7200RPM SATA
SOUND CARD: X-FI XTREME MUSIC
POWER SUPPLY: 500W
MONITOR: ACER 19" WIDESCREEN LCD

I'm trying to run my guitar through my x-fi xtreme music sound card but the volume is very low. I have my line in slider maxed out. Are there some hidden settings I need to goto to get the volume cranked up or is this all I get???

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
CPU: AMD ATHALON 64 3800+
MEMORY: 2GB OCZ PLATINUM DDR400 PC 3200(2-3-2-5)
VIDEO CARD: PNY GEFORCE 7900GT
HARD DRIVE: WD CAVIAR 120GB 7200RPM SATA
SOUND CARD: X-FI XTREME MUSIC
POWER SUPPLY: 500W
MONITOR: ACER 19" WIDESCREEN LCD

I don't know the technical answer to your question, but my best guess would be the sound card is not completely cmpatibale with your guitar's output. My suggestion...get a Marshall. :D

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
just guessing here but I believe the signal the sound card is looking for an amplified signal but your feeding it a non amped signal ? (I would check out the manuel or look on creatives site for more information) There could be some setting in software to switch between an amped signal and non amped one ? I use the break out box only for the headphone jack but I was thinking about picking up a guitar and doing this myself if you find the solution please post :)

Edit: One quick question are you using an electric or electric acoustic ? also are you using any effects ? I wonder how a nice metal peddle would work :)

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Hey there. I also use my guitar with my comp. Your problem is that you are sending a flat (not amped) signal to your soundcard. You have two solutions:

1- plug the guitar in the MIC IN of your soundcard, but the sound you will get will not be very good
2- use some sort of amplification before the signal goes in the soundcard, ie stomp box or else.

Here is how I connect my guitar to the comp ......

guitar ...... plugged into Boss GT-6 (you can replace this with others multi effects or stomp box) ..... plugged into LINE IN of sound card with stereo cable (since the gt-6 outputs in mono or stereo)

I've been using this setup for over 2 years now and it is amazing, for playing or recording.

sluzbenik

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, you need a direct box. You can also use a small mixer, though the signal won't be as pure. I used a cheap Behringer to do guitar and mike, and get a separate monitor to avoid lag. That way I didn't need a mike and guitar box...

TRENDING THREADS