[SOLVED] Trying to save a 2.5" Seagate 4TB drive (Head is stuck) Need to know what tool i need.

Jan 12, 2019
Hi

Recently my laptop hardrive (a 4TB 2.5" Seagate something something) stopped working. I googled and youtubed the sounds from it,and it may be stuck motor in the middle of the discs. I am going to try to manually reset it,to see if i can save all the data (or what i can) from it.

The problem:

The case for this harddrive have multiple screws being used for the lid.
-Torx T5
-Torx T6
-Pentalobe? (5 star pattern,see picture. But what size? I have Pentalobe for my old Iphones,but they are way to small.

Thank you for your feedback.

Solution
Saving the data from this drive is easily done.
First, invent a time machine...

Seriously though, there are specific torque values for the reassembly, the original problem whatever it was, and of course the ever present dust that will get in there if you take it apart.

Lack of the proper driver tips is not the problem here.

RealBeast

Titan
No offense but, not really a do-it-yourself project unless the data is unimportant and you want to have some fun with little chance of success.

If at all possible, back up the data if it is important before doing anything else. If not possible and it is important develop backup plans for the future.

USAFRet

Titan
Saving the data from this drive is easily done.
First, invent a time machine...

Seriously though, there are specific torque values for the reassembly, the original problem whatever it was, and of course the ever present dust that will get in there if you take it apart.

Lack of the proper driver tips is not the problem here.

Solution
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for your input guys. I am aware of the slim chances. And the data is not that important. But i really like to try.

So would really appreciate the help.
Thanx

USAFRet

Titan

Help with what?

Obtain the proper driver tips.
Take it apart.
Poke at the arm and the motor.
Put it back together.
Revel in the continued non-functionality.

It might work long enough to retrieve some of the data. Maybe.

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Jan 12, 2019
Its not aT8,that is much to big,and have a 6 shape star (as Torx do have) This is more like a Pentalobe like the ones on Iphones,but the iphone tool is much too small. Pentalobe have a 5 pointed star pattern. Its not a security screw with a nodge in the middle. And like i have said before. There are several different screws on these harddisks. And regular Torx have been among them,allthough T8 is too big.

I thank you for all your suggestions. I realize that this is not a thing most people do,but like i say. This harddisk is going in the bin anyway,and there is not much important on it. There are maybe some savegames and minor important stuff like that i would love to save,but its not life or death. The disk have been replaced anyway,so this is just to try if i can get anything from it.

I think i am going to buy a 25piece kit with Phone/data bits i can try. Unless someone knows the specific sizes used on these harddrives.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I was excited to find this thread. Then I read through and realized no one answered the question. But thanks for all the snide remarks, those are really helpful.

Nobody answered because it's not really an actionable question. You don't tear apart a hard drive because you want to fix it, you tear apart a hard drive because you want to learn more about how one works before you chuck it in the wastebin.

This is what a setup to work on a hard drive's insides look like:

clean-room-1.jpg

Is this your setup? Repairing a hard drive or recovering data isn't like tinkering with your lawn mower or changing the oil in your car. Any spec of dust and you can lose data permanently.

Reactions: ElectrO_90

TRENDING THREADS