Trying to setup a quad display machine and am having problems

cgr1971

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I am trying to put together a quad display machine for trading and am having problems getting the quad displays working. I currently have four displays but am running them on two different machines and want to get them all on my primary machine. The machines current specs are Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR, Core 2 Duo e6750, 4g of OCZ DDR3 platinum ram and a MSI R4550-MD1GH ATI 1GB video card. The board only has one PCIe 2.0 slot so I bought a Gigabyte EP45T-USB3P board with two PCIe slots and another MSI R4550-MD1GH ATI 1GB video card.

I swapped out the board and loaded XP and windows recognizes the second video card and both monitors and will let me configure the 3rd and 4th monitor and set the "extend desktop option" but the monitors are showing no signal on them. I loaded the Catalyst control center and it also sees them and lets me configure them but still showing no signal on the screens. I loaded up Windows 7 on a second partition and it is the same on W7 as well, recognizes and lets me configure resolution and everything, just no signal on the screen. I tried both cards individually and they both work fine as a stand alone card, I also tried another ATI 4350 card and still the same scenario with no signal on the screens.

I went in to the BIOS and made sure the 1st PCIe slot was set to be the primary slot. Then I tried setting the 2nd PCIe slot to be used as the primary but get no signal on the screen when trying to run a single card or both cards with the secondary slot set to be used as the primary. Any idea why I am getting no signal showing on the screen?

I swapped the original board back in so I can work. I am thinking of just breaking down and buying a ATI FirePro 2450 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 quad display card since I don't do any gaming but the two cards I have are passively cooled which is what I want and the Firepro has a fan as well as costing $250.

Do you think the new board is bad or has a bad secondary PCIe slot or is there something I am missing?