Trying to solve ownership problem

smashguy37

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I am trying to finally clean up all my MP3 tags after doing a clean install of Windows 10 recently. I am trying to use MP3Tag to do this but I keep getting errors about not being able to write to the directory.

I checked the ownership column in explorer for my music folder and instead of "Administrators" it says "DESKTOP-3GB9F1F\(my user)" and any new folder I made would have this same owner. I ran TakeOwnership and nothing happened. I ran TakeOwnershipEx and nothing happens right away but it eventually changes it to "Administrator" after a refresh, however it does not change files and folders inside any particular folder and I would have to do this manually, thousands of times. I ran TakeOwnershipPro and it changes the owner back to the "DESKTOP-3G...". But does not change the owner columns inside the main directory or the files in those folders.

No matter what I try I can't edit most of the tags. I have gone through the Properties/Security/etc boxes a number of times but I don't fully understand what I'm seeing. I don't just see my user name, I see:

Authenticated Users
SYSTEM
(user) (DESKTOP-3GB9F1F\(user))
Administrators (DESKTOP-3GB9F1F\Administrators)
Users (DESKTOP-3GB9F1F\Users)

Could anybody point me in the right direction to cleaning this up?

Solution
Try setting up a homegroup, it might fix the ownership problem. Its caused by win 10 realising the files weren't created by the current user, even if it was you on a previous install.

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016
I can point you to the Microsoft Windows 10 Forums.

I'm not much of an expert with files but try running the program as an adminstrator (make a shortcut to desktop, right-click that shortcut, and somewhere in the settings it there should be a checkbox saying "Always run this program as an admin").