Question Trying to start a home server! (DELL OPTIPLEX 7050 MICRO)

SebRicho

Commendable
Jan 5, 2021
Trying to set up an old home server to utilise as a NAS and to host game servers, im using an old micro Dell Optiplex 7050 as an external server and there seems to be an issue between my two computers.

Im using DWService to remotely access the computer from its permanent setup location, when i originally started using the server i set up a main file as a shared file for which i could store necesary files etc, that originally worked fine. then i started moving my Minecraft Server off my main PC and onto the server, i only transferred the world files. The issue that is occuring is that i am unable to connect to my minecraft server when its hosted on the server, but if i try and host on my main PC then everything is fine and i and all my friends can connect flawlessly. in my endless troubleshooting for multiple hours i have lost access to the original shared file, now when i try and access the server from my network tab on my Main PC, it fails to connect.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Make sure your firewall rules are set up correctly on the server. Most likely when asked for Public and Private internet permissions when you first launched the minecraft sever, you didn't select both to have permissions.

1. Click the Start button, then type Windows Firewall in the Search box.
  2. Click Windows Firewall, and then click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.
  3. Click the Change settings button. If a User Account Control window appears, click Yes, or enter your user name and password, then click OK.
  4. Change anything related to JAVA or JAVAW or Minecraft to allow permissions for private and public.

If that doesn't work, you can manually add the port to the firewall following these steps: https://www.instructables.com/Add-MC-Server-to-FireWall/

The port number should be on the server server.properties file. I recommend using notepad++ to open it.