Trying to underclock my 8gb 1866mhz of ram to work on my mobo and processor which only supports up to 1333mhz of ram.

Jarvis320

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello. This is my first time posting here guys and I really need your help. I'm trying to install a 8gb ram Hyper X Fury at 1866mhz. My mobo is Asus P7H55-M LX and an i3 540 processor, both my mobo and processor only supports up to 1333mhz of ram. And I can't find a way to make the ram work by underclocking it to work at 133mhz. When I inserted the new ram my PC just restarts again and again. Thank you for reading guys, hope you can help me. :)

Solution
If you want to believe that site - your call - but I would suggest contacting Kingston direct, they have a rep here on the forums, send a PM to KingstonHQ their screen name

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The Fury operate off PnP (they aren't like the 'normal' XMP based DRAM), they are also made using high density memory ICs (chips) - neither of which are compatible with the H55 chipset or the 1156 socket mobos. PnP support started with the 1155 (i.e. 6x chipsets). Will be better getting sticks that use low density ICs like the GSkill NT series of value DRAM or their original Ripjaws sticks (not the newer Ripjaws X or Z series, both of which use the high density ICs)

Jarvis320

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Tradesman1 thank you for replying and for explaining. I have this single 8gb stick and I learned that my mobo supports only up to 4gb per slot, I learned that it would be better if I have 2x 4gb sticks to be inserted on slot 1 and 2. Will this work? If I have Hyper X fury 2x4gb? Or no? Or I should buy just the regular ram just like you said?

Jarvis320

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Okay thank you for you help dude. Really appreciate it because I'm having trouble on knowing what is the right ram. But I've checked this site to see the compatible rams for my mobo.

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_P7H55-M_LX/178/Compatible_RAM

The Hyper X is listed but it's the 1333mhz model. But I heard that the 4gb 1866mhz will work on mobos that only supports 1333mhz because it automatically underclocks. Because I know that even if it says that it's 1866mhz it doesnt mean that it will only work on that speed, but it is the max speed for that ram.