[SOLVED] Trying to understand how XMP works for RAM

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Hello guys, just today I have finished my build and everything seems to be working fine. I downloaded CPU Z and after checking the memory tab, my RAM is only running at 1330MHZ. I've read and watched a couple of videos and threads but I still seem to be failing to understand how exactly it works. Do I need to overlock my CPU in order to get the advertised frequency? Is there anything that needs to be done besides enabling the XMP? Are there any risks?

My specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M S2H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Adata XPG Spectrix D41, DDR4, 3000 MHz, 8 GB, CL16
PSU: Seasonic SS600
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO

Thank you in advance

Solution
Selecting the XMP or DOCP profile for RAM in BIOS/UEFI should be all you need. It will read the XMP values from the timing table on the RAM and apply those settings (frequency, timings, voltage).

Your readouts should then indicate 1500 MHz (*2 as DDR has a double effective clock from its actual clock).

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Selecting the XMP or DOCP profile for RAM in BIOS/UEFI should be all you need. It will read the XMP values from the timing table on the RAM and apply those settings (frequency, timings, voltage).

Your readouts should then indicate 1500 MHz (*2 as DDR has a double effective clock from its actual clock).

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's basically an overclock profile foe the ram. it's been binned and tested to be able to handle the xmp speed. should be perfectly safe to enable it.

otherwise save the cash and by slower speed since thats what the ram started as when made. you pay extra for it being able to handle the extra speed :)

JankoPosvacal

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
it's basically an overclock profile foe the ram. it's been binned and tested to be able to handle the xmp speed. should be perfectly safe to enable it.

otherwise save the cash and by slower speed since thats what the ram started as when made. you pay extra for it being able to handle the extra speed :)
Okay, I'm really glad to hear that. Thank you for help. 😁