Question Trying to understand overclocking/undervolting and power consumption

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Gpu consumes more power with higher clocks at the same voltage. Why?
I've noticed that frequency alone affects power consumption of the gpu, even at the same voltage. I wonder what exactly happens inside it that causes it?
What do you think in general is better for gpu longevity: higher voltage (like 1.075v) with lower stock clocks (~1900mhz), or lower voltages (undervolted below 1V) but with higher clocks (2000mhz+)? Assuming they both reach power limit.

Gpu consumes more power with higher clocks at the same voltage. Why?
I've noticed that frequency alone affects power consumption of the gpu, even at the same voltage. I wonder what exactly happens inside it that causes it?
What do you think in general is better for gpu longevity: higher voltage (like 1.075v) with lower stock clocks (~1900mhz), or lower voltages (undervolted below 1V) but with higher clocks (2000mhz+)? Assuming they both reach power limit.
Of course it does consume more power under the load, just a law of physics, everything needs more energy to work harder.
W (Watts, that's actual work done) = Volts*Amperes.
If Voltage stays same, Amperage (electrical power) has to raise for more work (Watts) to be done.
For longevity, undervolting helps most and often gives better results. Also temperatures to be kept as low as possible.

Reactions: HeartOfAdel

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Of course it does consume more power under the load, just a law of physics, everything needs more energy to work harder.
W (Watts, that's actual work done) = Volts*Amperes.
If Voltage stays same, Amperage (electrical power) has to raise for more work (Watts) to be done.
For longevity, undervolting helps most and often gives better results. Also temperatures to be kept as low as possible.
Thank you for the answer! I thought it was the amperage as well, just wanted clarification.

I appreaciate your opinion on longevity but i still don't quite undertsand it fully. So let's say a gpu reaches its power limit of 200w but in two different ways (just as i wrote on the description). What you're saying is that 200w with higher clocks (more amperes) and lower voltages will improve longevity comparing to 200w reached with stock clocks but higher voltages?

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer! I thought it was the amperage as well, just wanted clarification.

I appreaciate your opinion on longevity but i still don't quite undertsand it fully. So let's say a gpu reaches its power limit of 200w but in two different ways (just as i wrote on the description). What you're saying is that 200w with higher clocks (more amperes) and lower voltages will improve longevity comparing to 200w reached with stock clocks but higher voltages?
Electron migration and heat are primary enemy of electronic so voltage and temps too.
In many cases slight underwolt can also help performance if that's what it takes to keep temps down as most would not boost as far or even throttle at higher temps, GPUs as well as CPUs, Because of variables and "Silicone lottery" amounts may be specific to particular part. That's something you have to test yourself.

Reactions: HeartOfAdel

TRENDING THREADS