Question Trying to understand review of RAID 1 disk failure

Jun 16, 2019
I was interested in this external hard drive from Amazon that offers RAID options. (Please continue reading! This question is not simply "is this a good drive?" It's a specific question regarding an intriguing experience with the drive)

https://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-Type-C-USB-C-Portable-Drive/dp/B01GVVC40K

From one of the reviews, it seems, that someone had a drive fail - but it didn't go noticed - and because a drive failed, and they kept trying to write to it, the other one ended up an unformatted partition. Am I reading this right? I thought these types of drives were for the redundancy, and it doesn't make sense that the failure of one would CAUSE the failure of the other.

The part I understand least is "it displayed lights showing that it was re-establishing data parity on the internal drives" Could this cause both drives to fail if one is bad? Maybe someone could elaborate on this.

Perhaps I am reading the review wrong and they aren't saying the drive failure was causal of the other drive failure.

Here's the full text of the review. If anyone has insight into this, I would appreciate it:
"This is why it's important to actually test the main function of the product before writing a review. Finally had a drive fail (mechanically) last week. The enclosure was set to RAID 1 (redundant array) mode. Not only did the enclosure not notify me of drive failure (as the manual says it should), it displayed lights showing that it was re-establishing data parity on the internal drives. Lo and behold, after waiting 48+ hours (drives are 2TB), and suspicious that I could not even see the contents of the drive as the copy-over was occurring, I disconnected the unit to verify the problem. That's when I established that drive 1 had mechanically failed, and drive 2 was now an unformatted partition, rendering all data effectively destroyed. Testing, the unit STILL doesn't indicate by light the failed drive when it's placed inside (still lights blue for 'Drive OK' status). Ironically, I would have been better off keeping the drives separate and using a manual backup from one drive to the next. I'll try to salvage what I can with Recuva, but this is a fiasco."

Thank you so much for your help!

USAFRet

Titan
Just sounds like a crappy device.

A RAID 1 should notify you of a physical drive fail, and tell you which one.
You then replace the failed drive, and allow the RAID array to rebuild itself.

That device seems to have borked up the process.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust any RAID 1 for safekeeping of my data. It is not a backup.
As that reviewer states, he would have been better off with a regular backup routine.

Your OS and applications are not as important, whereas your files/data/docs and photos are irreplaceable to many ....

At least use the free cloud accounts to store your data in....and if you have two drives (an external 1 TB USB drive is about $60?), then you can either back up your entire drive, or, store your files periodically there as well (A drive left constantly attached is as vulnerable as your OS drive is to ransomware..)

GoogleDrive, OneDrive, DropBox, Box, P-Cloud, Jottacloud---lots of free cloud storage to choose from. (those worried about privacy/sensitivity of documents can easily encrypt files/folders before storage with 7-Zip or any other chosen encryption methods)

Last edited: