Trying to understand the restrictions of MST hubs for maintaining 6 screen setup

Hello there

I have recently been considering a GPU upgrade for my current system given the advanced age of my dual Radeon 7970 setup, which will most likely be replaced by a single Radeon 580/590.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional 64 and my current screen setup consists of 6 1280*1024 monitors which results in a near 4K 3840*2048, accomplished though AMD Eyefinity and I thoroughly enjoy.

MY primary GPU has 2 DVI ports and 4 display ports which connect through DP-VGA adapters due to the screens being rather old.

However I seem to be unable to find adequate information on how to keep my current 6 screen monitor working through MST hubs since most mainstream AMD GPUs only support up to 5 screens internally.

So what I'm trying to figure out is whether I can get away with a single 2-way MST hub and plug the rest of the screens into the other sockets or need to get 3 two-way hubs or 2 two-way hubs depending on how many display ports the new card has.

Any help with keeping my "frankenbuild" monitor viable with the newer tech would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good one.

So would I have to exclusively connect my screens through the display ports through 2 or 3 MST hubs or could I get away with only one 2 way hub and still plug some of the screens into the DVI and HDMI sockets to keep the total cost of the upgrade down?

Sorry if that wasn't entirely clear.