[SOLVED] Trying to update BIOS with USD drive but cannot find the drive nor the CAP file in the BIOS menu

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I'm trying to update the BIOS on my ASUS X570-Plus motherboard at the moment and I've downloaded the required CAP file that you are meant to put on a USB stick in order to install the update through BIOS.

However when I enter into the BIOS of my computer I am presented with 5 storage devices even though I only have 4 storage devices on my computer(SSD Boot Drive, 2TB HDD internal drive, 4TB internal drive, USB drive).

On top of this I cannot find the actual USB drive in the BIOS nor can I find the CAP file that I need to execute in order to update the BIOS. Here is a screenshot of what I see in BIOS and also a screenshot of the drives of my computer in the "This PC" folder here: https://ibb.co/pQVZsxD

I'm not sure what to do. Is it possible for me to put the CAP file onto one of my internal storage HDD drives and install the BIOS update from the HDD?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
First, unplug your other drives. Just good practice.

Very important:

Step 2. USB flash drives require a single sector in FAT 16/32 format, and 1GB or more is recommended. If your drive is NTFS or EXT this isn't going work.

Try other USB ports, the ones on the back of the motherboard are more likely to be active in the BIOS. The others may not be or have restrictions on them.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
First, unplug your other drives. Just good practice.

Very important:

Step 2. USB flash drives require a single sector in FAT 16/32 format, and 1GB or more is recommended. If your drive is NTFS or EXT this isn't going work.

Try other USB ports, the ones on the back of the motherboard are more likely to be active in the BIOS. The others may not be or have restrictions on them.

Well see I recently formatted the USB drive with the exFAT format. The format options presented to me were between NTFS and exFAT as shown here: https://ibb.co/1ZnyqQQ

Also the USB drive I'm using has 64 GB capacity. On top of this, it was indeed plugged into the USB sockets located at the back of the PC(directly into the motherboard) rather than using the header USB ports...

Are you sure that it would be unsafe for me to use one of my internal non-boot HDD drives to install the BIOS update with?