Trying to update motherboard BIOS

hubblebubble

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
So, after discovering that several games on my computer are more laggy and stuttery and frustrating than previously after replacing my busted graphics card with a new one that's supposedly better, even on the lowest settings, I've been looking into doing anything I can to help improve things. Some online research, some of it related to the main game having problems, pointed out to me that updating your BIOS can really help your computer function with not just games but many other things, and I realized that mine has gone un-updated and relatively untouched in general since I first got the computer.

Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out how! my motherboard is ASUS by way of Phoenix Technologies, circa late 2008. The ASUS site is weird and slow and buggy, the manual search brings up nothing for me and for whatever reason the auto-detect wizard program they've got refuses to install in IE (the site insists on IE, ugh). The Phoenix Technologies site forwards me to some eSupport.com scam bullhockey that hides everything behind a paywall.

Here's a screenshot of my system info. I haven't the foggiest on what to do!

Well I have no problem getting to the Asus site for your motherboard if the screen shot you posted is correct you have a Asus P5N-D motherboard here is the correct site for that board from Asus http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5ND/#support . Go there select the OS you are using and then click on the BIOS the latest one is version 1401. And as I said the site came right up for me with no problems.

But as far as your gaming problem it would help to know what card you had and what you replaced it with because you did not really post anything about your hardware and what you did post was not really helpful at all because all that it really tells us is what CPU Ram and HDD's you have that is it.

The more info about your system you can post the better we can help you. It could be just a driver problem but with out any info there is no way to tell.

hubblebubble

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for the responses! I will give that ASUS link a try in a couple days, when I'll have the time & capability to get it fixed if I somehow screw something up again. And just in case there's other solutions to my problem like the aforementioned drivers, I'll add in more info here.

My computer was custom-built in late 2008 by iBUYPOWER. Checking the old order list again, my motherboard is specifically [SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology. My old graphics card that got busted was a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, and the new one that's replaced it is a GeForce GT 620. All my NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

A few other stats:

Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- Casegears ECO-Element 80 Plus Certificated High Efficiency Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Quiet ===] AVC Silent Intel CPU Fan and Heatsink Quiet & Overclocking Proof )
Memory ( 4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

I did a recent thorough check of everything when investigating my gc problems, so everything from fans to power supply to memory are definitely in working order. The game that's suffering the hardest from this sudden issue is Borderlands 2; even at the lowest possible settings for everything the game is slow and choppy and monstrously laggy, when before it was relatively decent. Googling, I've seen people talk about everything from BIOS updating to physx tweaking.

hubblebubble

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I also have a question in regards to this: "Go there select the OS you are using and then click on the BIOS the latest one is version 1401"

Looking at the driver list, does each one only do what's listed underneath, or does the most recent one (1401) include all previous features as well? Want to make sure I do this right!