[SOLVED] Trying to update my rig slightly. Advice please ^^

boog12

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
I built my first computer a few years ago and while its running decent still I think I could use new storage since I have a few hundred to spend only and its probably the most outdated. Any advice would be helpful before I give it a go.

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 62 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme9 (CPUSocket) 37 °C
Graphics
VS248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 51 °C
Storage
1862GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA ) 32 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 35 °C

Solution
what are you looking to use this storage space for?

if for installing games or for anything(video editing, etc) that may benefit from a faster drive; i would recommend a 2-4TB internal SSD.
if for more backup and\or media storage space; an external 6-8TB HDD would probably be a better option.

keeping your 250GB EVO for an OS\applications drive should provide plenty of space for that alone.
and keeping your 2TB WD should provide plenty of space for system backup and personal files.
so really depending on what you need the extra space for would determine what type and size of drive to add.

a better option may even be to just put that few hundred away and start saving for a modern chipset and upgrade the whole system in time.
what are you looking to use this storage space for?

if for installing games or for anything(video editing, etc) that may benefit from a faster drive; i would recommend a 2-4TB internal SSD.
if for more backup and\or media storage space; an external 6-8TB HDD would probably be a better option.

keeping your 250GB EVO for an OS\applications drive should provide plenty of space for that alone.
and keeping your 2TB WD should provide plenty of space for system backup and personal files.
so really depending on what you need the extra space for would determine what type and size of drive to add.

a better option may even be to just put that few hundred away and start saving for a modern chipset and upgrade the whole system in time.

Solution