trying to upgarde my graphics card and im wanting to know if my motherboard and power supply can take it??

Jun 20, 2018
hey i need help, i have a intel i5-2400, GT 640 graphics card and a peak output power supply of 600 watts, will that be enough for a GTX 1050 ti and my motherboard is a ASRock H61M-VG3

Solution
Firstly, not worry about bottlenecking. As long as your CPU can perform to your FPS goals (if gaming), and GPU can perform to your visual goals, you’re fine.

With the PSU, we have no idea. “Peak power” is meaningless. Look for the “continuos” output, which will be a lot lower than the peak.
Could you please share the power supply’s model name, or post a photo?
Which exact 1050ti (some require a PCIe cable)?
We also need to know the exact PSU to ensure it has enough connectors, and if it’s quality is fine.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
Firstly, not worry about bottlenecking. As long as your CPU can perform to your FPS goals (if gaming), and GPU can perform to your visual goals, you’re fine.

With the PSU, we have no idea. “Peak power” is meaningless. Look for the “continuos” output, which will be a lot lower than the peak.
Could you please share the power supply’s model name, or post a photo?
Which exact 1050ti (some require a PCIe cable)?
We also need to know the exact PSU to ensure it has enough connectors, and if it’s quality is fine.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A PSU even advertising something called "peak power" is a giant red flag that a PSU may be garbage. Pretty much all quality PSUs advertise their rated output that they can maintain. Seeing peak power is a bit like a restaurant advertising "Now, with fewer rat droppings!"

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The 12V rail is the important one. Most of your components power draw comes from 12V. The current on your 12V rail is 36A, so 432w.

Here’s a review of a similar if not the same Huntley psu: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/huntkey-win7-6600-power-supply-review/8/ rather low end, but should be okay for the GPU upgrade. Make sure the PSU has PCIe connectors if the GPU requires them.