[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade a decade old PC for use with 3D modelling software, help?

kwarren21

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
Hey all, I'm a bit out of touch with technology honestly, I've recently restarted work as a 3D modeller after several years away from the industry and I was hoping I'd be able to upgrade this old workhorse as much as I can. I would appreciate some advice on whether I can push this PC any further with upgrades as my budget is severely limited this year (newborn) but I'm also doing my best to have a fighting chance in the 3D modelling industry.

This PC can handle stuff like 3ds max, Zbrush etc, just not doing so great with Marvelous Designer which is fairly essential. Would be good if it can handle game engines like Unreal, Unity etc as well. Just need it to be good enough to take me through a year or two until I can muster up some funds for something more up to date.

Current Build:
CPU:
Intel core i7-2600k @3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 580
Board: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
PSU: Antec HCG-750W

I realize the GPU is quite possibly killing me, any recommendations on a budget-friendly GPU (considering prices these days) that will get me through a good year or two? As well, any other advice is appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all, I'm a bit out of touch with technology honestly, I've recently restarted work as a 3D modeller after several years away from the industry and I was hoping I'd be able to upgrade this old workhorse as much as I can. I would appreciate some advice on whether I can push this PC any further with upgrades as my budget is severely limited this year (newborn) but I'm also doing my best to have a fighting chance in the 3D modelling industry.

This PC can handle stuff like 3ds max, Zbrush etc, just not doing so great with Marvelous Designer which is fairly essential. Would be good if it can handle game engines like Unreal, Unity etc as well. Just need it to be good enough to take me through a year or two until I can muster up some funds for something more up to date.

Current Build:
CPU:
Intel core i7-2600k @3.40GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 580
Board: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
PSU: Antec HCG-750W

I realize the GPU is quite possibly killing me, any recommendations on a budget-friendly GPU (considering prices these days) that will get me through a good year or two? As well, any other advice is appreciated!
That PC needs to be retired and replaced. Your time is what you are selling. You need a current PC to be competitve.

kwarren21

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
That PC needs to be retired and replaced. Your time is what you are selling. You need a current PC to be competitve.

I see. I figured that may be the case. Are there any components that I may be able to carry forward or is it all dated? Ideally I was hoping to start replacing parts and eventually have a full new build, but if I must take the plunge then I figure I must if I'm going to support my family