[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade an old PC

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
I am upgrading a PC that I built 10 years ago that has a i5-2500k processor. I don't do any gaming so it is mostly just used for general usage (web browsing, Office, photo storage/editing/organizing, video editing, etc.). I do have a large hard drive on it which is accessed by other computers on the network sometimes. I just want to reuse the components I have and replace the motherboard, CPU, and memory to make it faster and more up to date. I have a full size case and my current motherboard is ATX so anything will fit in it. I also have a 520W power supply, a 256 GB SSD for the OS and programs, and a 4TB HDD for data. I also have a GT1030 graphics card. Here is what I plan to upgrade:

CPU: Intel i5-10400f for $165

I figure I just need the F version because I already have a GPU, right (let me know if there are other advantages to the regular version)? And this will probably be plenty of fast enough for what I need and saves $100 over a 10600, right?

Motherboard: I guess a B460 is enough for what I am doing with it, right? Maybe something like a ASROCK B460 for $120 or a Gigabyte B460 for $100. I don't know much about the differences of motherboards but based one the components I have, maybe you can help recommend one.

RAM: 16 GB of anything DD4 RAM for around $80

So all in all, I am looking to make a much faster up to date computer without spending a lot. So this should make a big difference and keep it around $350-$400. Please feel free to make suggestions for minor component upgrades if they are worth it for a little bit extra. Thanks for looking.

Solution
In regards to the Intel Core I5-10400F processor, do you have a spare graphics card if your current GT 1030 fails for whatever reason? I wouldn't go with a processor that does not have integrated graphics if I didn't have a spare graphics card (or four) lying around.

-Wolf sends

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Specifics on this?
You may need a new one.

Also, with this level of hardware change, plan for a full reinstall of Windows and everything else.

What specifics do you mean on the power supply? Do you mean it may not be compatible with the motherboard or what?

I play to do a full reinstall of Windows anyways so that is no problem.

Wolfshadw

Titan
In regards to the Intel Core I5-10400F processor, do you have a spare graphics card if your current GT 1030 fails for whatever reason? I wouldn't go with a processor that does not have integrated graphics if I didn't have a spare graphics card (or four) lying around.

-Wolf sends

Solution

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020

-Wolf sends

I guess for $15 difference, it might be worth it then. I didn't think of that.

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
One thing I forgot is what do I need to cool the CPU with?

-Wolf sends

Do I need to get some kind of cooler for this too? Do you recommend any?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
If you do not already have a universal cooler already, the stock cooler that comes with the Intel Core I5-10400 is sufficient for now.

-Wolf sends
I think I bought a cooler for my current one. If so, is it just a manner of applying new thermal paste and attaching it to the new one?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Specifics on this?
You may need a new one.

Also, with this level of hardware change, plan for a full reinstall of Windows and everything else.
One more thing regarding the Windows install. It is linked to my Microsoft account but what exactly does that mean? Does that mean I can reinstall it on any machine ? If I have more than one machine , how does it know which one is which?

jm88

Reputable
Jun 18, 2020
Having the Windows license linked to your Microsoft Account means you are able to transfer it to another PC.
If you only have one Windows 10 license, you can only have it activated on one PC.
Reactivating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change

-Wolf sends
I guess I am confused by how it knows it has a free license. Do you have to somehow deactivate the one you are changing? Or when you start up the new build, does it let you choose which one to deactivate.

USAFRet

Titan
I guess I am confused by how it knows it has a free license. Do you have to somehow deactivate the one you are changing? Or when you start up the new build, does it let you choose which one to deactivate.
The license is associated with your MS account, and a particular system.
You can tell the MS account to associate license with a different system. Only one at a time, of course, and not too often.