[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade from Gefore 960 MSI to Geforce 2060 Ventus MSI

May 2, 2020
Hi guys and gals. This has been my goto spot for answers for quite a while now and kudos to all of you, as you have helped me more than you know; albeit this is my first post.

The reason I am here with my first topic is that I have yet to find an actual solution to the current problem I am having. I have literally spent hours yesterday working on every solution I could find to no avail. So, I thought I'd ask here before returning the Geforce RTX 2060 Ventus.

My system specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX 8300 3.3 Ghz 8-core

PSU: 800 W APower AK Series

RAM: 16 GB

Bios Mode: Legacy

Bios Version: American Megatrends, Inc. P1.40 Date: 02/05/13

Motherboard: ASRock 960GM-GS3 FX

Current GPU: Geforce 960 MSI
GPU attempting to install: Geforce RTX 2060 Ventus MSI

PCIe: 2.0 x16

Issues: After using DDU to switch cards, I get nothing but a black screen when seating the 2060. Switching to VGA onboard graphics, I can see that device manager cannot see the card whatsoever. When attempting to manually install the ready 2 play drivers for the 2060, I get an odd message telling me that these drivers are not compatible with this version of Windows. Furthermore, It says there is no matching hardware. So driver installation is impossible, or seems to be.

I can switch back to the 960 and the system sees it just fine with generic drivers installed, as the actual drivers have been removed by DDU. Also, no black screen with the 960 as device manager does pick it up.

The 2060, when attempting to install, does show the fans running (eyeball view) but the motherboard or windows is having an absolute meltdown accepting the card. I should also note this an OEM and the pcu, psu, and ram are all self-upgrades.

Things I have tried:
1). Fresh Install of Windows.
2.) DDU run-through
3.) Installation of drivers so Windows can see but driver installation gets halted by Nvidia. Tried both manual and Geforce Experience to no avail.

And lastly, I cannot acces my bios since I have USB keyboard. Bought an adapter to PS/2 but that apparantly was a scam lol.

I am wondering if this might be a motherboard to card compatibility issue, although I can run the 960 just fine. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all of the years you have helped me without knowing it.

One last note: 2060 purchased from newe** and is a new purchase. (wasn't sure on rules about naming companies).

Solution
Companies are fine.

Can you try booting with the bios in uefi mode? Maybe try updating the bios.

800 W APower AK Series
This could be your issue. Seems to be quite bad.

It has about 670w on the 12v rails combined which should be enough, but it seems to be quite old and not good.
May 2, 2020
Okay, I'll see if I can find a ps/2 keyboard so I can boot into bios. As for the psu, I bought it new 3 years ago, even though it seems old, so to speak.

May 2, 2020
I went ahead and ordered another psu after running OCCT and seeing that the voltage kept dropping on me. I'll keep you posted after I receive and install it. Thx 4 ur help!

May 2, 2020
Companies are fine.

Can you try booting with the bios in uefi mode? Maybe try updating the bios.

This could be your issue. Seems to be quite bad.

It has about 670w on the 12v rails combined which should be enough, but it seems to be quite old and not good.

Updated to the ASRock 970M Pro3 and all is well. Thank you all for your help in sorting this out. It's a shame the ASRock 960 had no UEFI support, whatsoever. Thanks Again!