Trying to upgrade mobo from dell to Asus

Nov 8, 2018
Finally got around to upgrading my desktop and as I was setting up to switch the parts and I noticed my new Asus H310-plus mobo doesn't fit into my tower. My old mobo was a Dell E139765 NB0508 and I was wondering what board I should upgrade to instead???

A micro ATX motherboard will fit in that Dell Precision T3500 case(they're usually labeled as H310M,B360M or Z370M).
The Dell motherboard has a poprietary BTX form factor... so standard ATX motherboards won't fit in that case
Also what are the components that you've upgraded?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

OP didn't say T3500, the first reply did. Search the model number of the board its BTX, or looks like BTX as you say, doesn't matter, an ATX board isn't going to fit where it is.

And sure for some tasks an old Xeon in there can "keep up" but any processor that fits in the board he bought would eat it for lunch in gaming.

Well I've assumed it since the motherboard is from a Dell Precision T3500 and he could not fit an ATX motherboard... that tells me that he's using his original case. He also said that he's "upgrading" from that motherboard so I don't see how he would use a Dell OEM motherboard with a custom case.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right, in the end its semantics, he pointed out its "modified BTX" well in the end the OP can't put an ATX motherboard either way, so the case is useless to him. Whether its definitely a T3500 or not.

NB0508 brought up Dell T3500. Which is neither ATX or BTX. If he has some other system the OP needs to clarify that. But it's not just semantics. There are physical differences. The T3500 itself is far from useless. Maybe the MB is useless to him since he will have to purcahse a whole new computer to use it. But that's his decision.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

And E139765 comes back to a motherboard that is clearly BTX... Or if you need to be semantic about it, clearly *NOT* ATX meaning the OP's question of "how do I put my new motherboard in this case" is answered by "It doesn't fit, you need a different case." Nobody cares about whether the system was a T3500 or not, it and the form factor it used, is irrelevant.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Until the OP comes back and says why it doesn't fit we won't know. But cursory searches show a BTX or BTX style board. Makes the most sense but we need his input (or a photo) to know for sure.

Tinstaafl

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I think the best suggestion so far is to just move into a new bare ATX case. They can be had fairly cheap for entry level. Depending on the PSU in the Dell, may need to get a new ATX PSU as well.

Trying to fit a ATX or uATX board into a proprietary OEM case might work, but it will always be a hassle. I'm fairly sure they design them that way so you cannot easily just drop in another board. I made the switch to a bare ATX case after my first OEM PC needed an upgrade, and have never looked back. When you make the switch you should be able to move all your drives and GPU over to the new case.