[SOLVED] trying to upgrade my 1060/ryzen 5 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
so the specs on my pc right now.
  • the case itself is a standard one - i wouldnt be too sure if any of those 3 fan gpus would fit my build :( but i wouldnt mind buying a new one even though i recently bought it less than a year ago
  • GPU - evga geforce gtx 1060
  • CPU - ryzen 5 1600
  • ram - patriot PV416G240C5K (2x 8gb DDR4)
  • MBO - B350 GAMING PLUS
  • PSU - Corsair TX 650M
so with the new rtx that came out im trying to get one of those but im not too sure if any of my computer parts will slow them down. i mean i dont need the game to have the whole crazy ass fps but you know as long as it runs it smoothly at 60 or above on average i should be ok which is what i saw most of the 2060/70 usually do.
so my questions:
  1. what would i have to do to make sure im not bottlenecking a new gpu if i were to get one?
  2. what gpu should i strike for for someone that streams/games on the machine constantly when i can
  3. what should i do to try and run 3 monitors? i currently have 3 monitors but i dont use the 3rd one. i have my: Samsung S27C750(1920 x 1080 5ms), an HP w2338h(1920 x 1080 5ms), and a Asus VP228H( 1920 x 1080 1ms). im planning on using the hp one for chat/stream stuff etc. while the asus one us for gaming, samsung is youtube and other video stuff.
  4. do i even need to upgrade with cyberpunk,call of duty and other new games coming out that seem pretty intensive

Solution
how does one go by overclocking their cpu? and how much should someone consider doing so? and also, does brand or anything else matter? as long as my ram is over 3000mhz i should be ok?

OC'ing a CPU, can be fun, and give some free extra performance. It's not an easy thing to do, but nor is very difficult, with a little bit of reading. This is a great guide to start of with : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

To answer the other question, how far to push the CPU is dependent on a number of factors, primarily the limitations of the hardware. Ryzen 1.0 (pur chips) have a max OC of about 4.0-4.1. Smetimes less. It depends on each individual chip. But you could...
IMO, all you should do is just get the 2060/2070 and be happy. Although the R1600 isn't the fastest of Ryzens, it's very capable streamer gamer.

If I were you, I would OC your CPU a little, to push a bit more out of the GPU. For 1080p gaming/streaming your system will do well, specially with the games you mentioned. You will hit a solid 60fps (maybe with some dialled back settings here and there) in game while streaming, and the output will be high quality with very little by way of dropped frames (setting dependent in what ever app you use for streaming - OBS or whatever).

You could go a CPU upgrade route, but I wouldn't put a Ryzen 3xxx cpu in there, as your mobo may not support it. That leaves a Ryzen 2xxx CPU, and it's not really worth the money to upgrade a 1600 to a 2600. So CPU wise i'd say stick where you are for now. If after getting the new GPU you are not happy, then consider the CPU upgrade/platform upgrade if you feel you need to. You should be happy with what you have though.

I would consider a ram upgrade though. Although you do have 16gb, which is good and needed for gaming and streaming. It is 2400mhz. Getting 3000mhz+ ram will give you a gaming boost of approx 10-20% in FPS and be a lot more snappy in general terms with faster timings.

So for me, GPU and ram upgrade, and you would be solid.

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
IMO, all you should do is just get the 2060/2070 and be happy. Although the R1600 isn't the fastest of Ryzens, it's very capable streamer gamer.

If I were you, I would OC your CPU a little, to push a bit more out of the GPU. For 1080p gaming/streaming your system will do well, specially with the games you mentioned. You will hit a solid 60fps (maybe with some dialled back settings here and there) in game while streaming, and the output will be high quality with very little by way of dropped frames (setting dependent in what ever app you use for streaming - OBS or whatever).

You could go a CPU upgrade route, but I wouldn't put a Ryzen 3xxx cpu in there, as your mobo may not support it. That leaves a Ryzen 2xxx CPU, and it's not really worth the money to upgrade a 1600 to a 2600. So CPU wise i'd say stick where you are for now. If after getting the new GPU you are not happy, then consider the CPU upgrade/platform upgrade if you feel you need to. You should be happy with what you have though.

I would consider a ram upgrade though. Although you do have 16gb, which is good and needed for gaming and streaming. It is 2400mhz. Getting 3000mhz+ ram will give you a gaming boost of approx 10-20% in FPS and be a lot more snappy in general terms with faster timings.

So for me, GPU and ram upgrade, and you would be solid.
how does one go by overclocking their cpu? and how much should someone consider doing so? and also, does brand or anything else matter? as long as my ram is over 3000mhz i should be ok?

OC'ing a CPU, can be fun, and give some free extra performance. It's not an easy thing to do, but nor is very difficult, with a little bit of reading. This is a great guide to start of with : https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

To answer the other question, how far to push the CPU is dependent on a number of factors, primarily the limitations of the hardware. Ryzen 1.0 (pur chips) have a max OC of about 4.0-4.1. Smetimes less. It depends on each individual chip. But you could consider an all core 3.8ghz OC very achievable with a good cooler.

You start by changing the multiplier in the bios to 36 for 3.6ghz, 38 for 3.8ghz, or 39 for 3.9ghz. Depending on your chip you may have to increase voltage to hit those speeds.

Either way the thing to do if you would like to try it, is read that guide over and over, work through your bios and get familiar with the settings. Then try OC'ing your chip in small gradual steps, testing along the way.

Brand/Model does matter when it comes to ram. The main thing though is to get a 2 x 8gb matched kit of 3000mhz+ ram, and ensure as best you can that it's compatible with your motherboard.

Here is the QVL for your mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-12

If you choose a set of DIMMS of that list you are ensured they will work with your mobo, as they have been tested to work with it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.