[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade PSU and/or GPU for Dell G5 5000 Desktop

Feb 10, 2021
I've hit a dead-end with Dell support on this, so I figured I'd try to summon the IT gods of the internet for help.

Currently using a basic version of the Dell G5 5000 gaming desktop, trying to upgrade the GPU so I can do more video editing but I only have a 350W PSU (and it seems that most the GPUs I'm looking at will cause me to exceed that). Contacted Dell to try to get the 500W PSU they use for this computer model, but they've advised they're out of stock for the next 6-9 months on that unit and do not have in-house alternative models. The PSU is a long bar instead of a standard box, which has me thrown for a loop. Also, with the case, it appears that the plug is on the left side where as most the PSUs I've seen are on the right.

Basically looking for any assistance with either finding an alternative PSU that will fit the case or a better GPU that will increase performance but keep it under the power threshold.

Information I have so far:

Current computer parts (link to Dell's manual):
PSU: 350W (Model: HU360EBM-00)
GPU: AMD(R) Radeon(TM) RX 5300 3GB GDDR6
Mobo: Dell 0M6C7G

Part They Said Would Be The Upgrade:
PSU: 99TPH (Dell part number, looks like a 500W Lite-On)

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 - 93.3%
GPU: AMD RadeonT RX 5300 - 50.9%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 250.4%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 59.7%
RAM: Unknown HMA81GU6DJR8N-XN 802C0000802C 8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1 029E0000830B CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 029E0000830B CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 32GB - 67.2%
MBD: Dell G5 5000

Any help appreciated.

Solution
I've hit a dead-end with Dell support on this, so I figured I'd try to summon the IT gods of the internet for help.

Currently using a basic version of the Dell G5 5000 gaming desktop, trying to upgrade the GPU so I can do more video editing but I only have a 350W PSU (and it seems that most the GPUs I'm looking at will cause me to exceed that). Contacted Dell to try to get the 500W PSU they use for this computer model, but they've advised they're out of stock for the next 6-9 months on that unit and do not have in-house alternative models. The PSU is a long bar instead of a standard box, which has me thrown for a loop. Also, with the case, it appears that the plug is on the left side where as most the PSUs I've seen are on the...

Currently using a basic version of the Dell G5 5000 gaming desktop, trying to upgrade the GPU so I can do more video editing but I only have a 350W PSU (and it seems that most the GPUs I'm looking at will cause me to exceed that). Contacted Dell to try to get the 500W PSU they use for this computer model, but they've advised they're out of stock for the next 6-9 months on that unit and do not have in-house alternative models. The PSU is a long bar instead of a standard box, which has me thrown for a loop. Also, with the case, it appears that the plug is on the left side where as most the PSUs I've seen are on the right.

Basically looking for any assistance with either finding an alternative PSU that will fit the case or a better GPU that will increase performance but keep it under the power threshold.

Information I have so far:

Current computer parts (link to Dell's manual):
PSU: 350W (Model: HU360EBM-00)
GPU: AMD(R) Radeon(TM) RX 5300 3GB GDDR6
Mobo: Dell 0M6C7G

Part They Said Would Be The Upgrade:
PSU: 99TPH (Dell part number, looks like a 500W Lite-On)

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 - 93.3%
GPU: AMD RadeonT RX 5300 - 50.9%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 250.4%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 59.7%
RAM: Unknown HMA81GU6DJR8N-XN 802C0000802C 8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1 029E0000830B CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 029E0000830B CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 32GB - 67.2%
MBD: Dell G5 5000

Any help appreciated.
Ok, so you have one of those not made to be upgraded systems. Dell does not want you to be able to do major upgrades and made it this way on purpose. Thanks, Dell. It has a 12 volt only, proprietary power supply with proprietary connections to a proprietary motherboad.

Cooling in this system is absolutely abysmal. In about 3 1/2 minutes of gaming both the CPU and GPU hit thermal limits and throttle back. Check this video- Youtube G5 5000 (5 minutes)

The way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Continue to use it as is with its limitations. You bought it, your fault.

2. Wait forever until the Dell 500W PSU becomes available and proceed with GPU upgrade, unless you can find one on fleabay.

3. Pillage it for the CPU, memory and drives. Buy an inexpensive case, new motherboard, GPU, decent CPU cooler and power supply and reassemble it. At least you'll have a system with normal retail parts that you can easily work with and change/upgrade any time you want. It would require a complete wipe of the OS drive and fresh windows installation (got a win 10 license?). Obviously the most expensive option but you'll have a good system in the end. By the time you finish it you'll be in a position where you'll know enough about PC assembly to build from scratch next time and you'll never have to buy another crappy prebuilt computer again.

Others here may have options I have not thought of or differing opinions. I wish you the best of luck.

Solution
Considering the high prices and low availability of decent video cards now anyway you may as well just use the system as is. Your CPU is good enough for editing without a stronger video card. That OEM RX 5300 is over a 1650 card, probably at 1650 Super levels so it's not what I would call "slow". It may not help with GPU rendering much but considering the options you have it's not really worth changing it.