Question Trying to upgrade RAM

Jul 27, 2019
My RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL16 Single Channel Desktop Memory Module BLS8G4D240FSB

Aside from buying the same product from the above mentioned, what are the qualification for me to upgrade my ram (by adding another 8gb stick) using other RAM manufacturers?

Can you suggest RAM that would seamlessly work with the above mentioned existing RAM?

-Thank you in advance

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
even buying the same make and model does not guarantee they will work in dual channel. the only way to guarantee that is a matched set of modules.
my suggestion is to buy a matched set in the capacity you desire then sell your existing RAM.

if you try to match the RAM yourself, I strongly suggest running the RAM through memtest86 for 5 passes (more wouldn't hurt) if you get any errors or reboots the RAM is not a match.

Jul 27, 2019
even buying the same make and model does not guarantee they will work in dual channel. the only way to guarantee that is a matched set of modules.
my suggestion is to buy a matched set in the capacity you desire then sell your existing RAM.

if you try to match the RAM yourself, I strongly suggest running the RAM through memtest86 for 5 passes (more wouldn't hurt) if you get any errors or reboots the RAM is not a match.
oh that's a bummer. I thought it was just a simple qualifications check of sorts to be able to run in dual channel using the same or even different ram (providing that they have the same clock speed, timing, and capacity).

Thanks for the input. I'm still hoping there is a workaround of sorts.