[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade some parts of the PC

syn7ax69

Prominent
Jan 24, 2020
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade some of my PC parts. The main reason probably will be that I think my PC doesn't really perform that good and I took different RAMs from old Builds and installed them which is not good and I just want a new/organized/fresh start.
The current PC is prebuilt, I just upgraded my graphic card, bought new PSU and installed(mixed, I just looked for DDR4...) some RAM, this is what it looks like now:
n8Sxavy.png

I just want to optimize it and mainly improve my overall hardware.

Ignore the graphics card, I'm happy with the 2060 super.
Ignore the PSU aswell unless you think it's not enough.
The budget that I have available is around 1000 €.
These are the parts that I want to buy > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dfVrmg

About the storage, I will use the ones that I have now, in the future I might buy something like 970 EVO NVMe SSD 1TB M.2.

I will be really thankful if you give your opinion about the upgrades if it's good or if you have some better suggestions/improvements. :)

Solution
You PSU has an attachment for ATX so you will probably be fine, however, if you can return it for a full refund that wouldn't be bad as you can get a regular ATX PSU that will be quieter. I would also make some other changes that will help with your price/performance.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($242.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case...
You PSU has an attachment for ATX so you will probably be fine, however, if you can return it for a full refund that wouldn't be bad as you can get a regular ATX PSU that will be quieter. I would also make some other changes that will help with your price/performance.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($242.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case ($145.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1050.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-24 14:46 EST-0500

Ryzen 7 3700X is a little slower at gaming than the 9900K, but that is with a 2080Ti at 1080p, but faster than the 9900k at encoding, etc...all while using 1/3 the power. The Ryzen also is a lot cooler running and comes with a usable HSF so you can save money on that. I included a SSD as the savings from HSF & CPU put that into the budget. You can still use the drives you have, but the current SSD would be for OS and Applications, the M.2 would be for games, and the HDD would be for movies, music, etc... Case I personally like Fractal Design, but the be Quiet is also nice and they should have similar thermal and acoustic performance. The PSU I have is high quality and should be quieter than the SFX one that you already have.

Solution

syn7ax69

Prominent
Jan 24, 2020
@jeremyj_83 thank you for your suggestions. I only used Intel and never used AMD but after I read about the Ryzen 7 3700X I think it is a good choice for me because apart from gaming I occasionally do like programming/design stuff (but mostly gaming). Unfortunately, I can't get a refund for my PSU, so I think I'll stick with the PSU I already have and maybe in the future, I will replace it. About the SSD that you suggested, I forgot to mention, I'm from Germany and with the import fees it will cost me like 300$. The SSD I think I will leave out for now. And for the RAM can you maybe suggest me something from this place: https://www.caseking.de/en/pc-components/memory/ddr4

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€325.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€161.89 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€89.80 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€156.89 @ Alternate)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (€151.84 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €885.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-24 22:43 CET+0100

@ScrewySqrl Thank you for your answer. :) The thing is my PC is prebuilt, the case is not a good one, after installing the new GPU there is barely place and honestly, I'm surprised my PC doesn't shut down because of high temperatures. It's a little loud aswell. I want to move to a new case and with the moving, I want to buy a new motherboard so that I can have place for M.2 SSD (my current motherboard doesn't have one) and with this move, I tried to look for compatible motherboard for I7 6700 which I found but then I said well I have the budget, why not upgrade my CPU aswell. I know not many people will agree with me on that but that is the truth.

USAFRet

Titan
@ScrewySqrl Thank you for your answer. :) The thing is my PC is prebuilt, the case is not a good one, after installing the new GPU there is barely place and honestly, I'm surprised my PC doesn't shut down because of high temperatures. It's a little loud aswell. I want to move to a new case and with the moving, I want to buy a new motherboard so that I can have place for M.2 SSD (my current motherboard doesn't have one) and with this move, I tried to look for compatible motherboard for I7 6700 which I found but then I said well I have the budget, why not upgrade my CPU aswell. I know not many people will agree with me on that but that is the truth.
What do you use this system for?
Adding an NVMe drive may not be the uber performance boost you expect.

logainofhades

Titan
The 970 evo is nice, but overpriced, and more than a gaming rig needs. An Intel 660p, or Crucial P1 is plenty. The Sabarent Rocket is another good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (€199.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 Memory (€99.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€119.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (€151.84 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €896.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-24 23:12 CET+0100

@jeremyj_83 thank you for your suggestions. I only used Intel and never used AMD but after I read about the Ryzen 7 3700X I think it is a good choice for me because apart from gaming I occasionally do like programming/design stuff (but mostly gaming). Unfortunately, I can't get a refund for my PSU, so I think I'll stick with the PSU I already have and maybe in the future, I will replace it. About the SSD that you suggested, I forgot to mention, I'm from Germany and with the import fees it will cost me like 300$. The SSD I think I will leave out for now. And for the RAM can you maybe suggest me something from this place: https://www.caseking.de/en/pc-components/memory/ddr4

PCPartPicker Part List
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€161.89 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€89.80 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€156.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €885.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-24 22:43 CET+0100

I looked at that website for RAM and they don't have a good selection at all. I redid my recommendation instead using de.pcpartpicker.com so all of the vendors will be in Germany.
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€119.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (€151.01 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €847.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-25 15:25 CET+0100