[SOLVED] Trying to upgrade to SSD from HDD problems

Feb 15, 2020
So I recently decided to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD (samsung 860 evo).

I tried cloning everything over to the new SSD but there was an error relating to my current hard drive that wouldn't allow me to clone.

The issue that I'm having now is that I cant seem to get my pc to boot without being in boot manager. Anytime I try to boot from my new ssd or my old hdd I get the same generic error "cant boot from current hard drive blah blah please connect correct device and reboot" so now I'm stuck.
I cant boot from either drive new or old, and mind you im not super computer savvy, this is my first pc build and it's the first major issue I've run into.

Thank you all in advance!

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
If the existing drive has issues, a clone is NOT recommended.

The "Windows Boot Manager" IS what you're booting from on the old drive.

If you want to use the new SSD, do a clean install of your OS.
Assuming Windows 10, this:

Feb 15, 2020
If the existing drive has issues, a clone is NOT recommended.

The "Windows Boot Manager" IS what you're booting from on the old drive.

If you want to use the new SSD, do a clean install of your OS.
Assuming Windows 10, this:
So how would I do that if I can boot the pc from either drive? Do I just do it from boot manager?
The other issue is that since it's only letting me into boot manager, it's not giving me internet access either, I'm not sure if that's needed or not

USAFRet

Titan
So how would I do that if I can boot the pc from either drive? Do I just do it from boot manager?
The other issue is that since it's only letting me into boot manager, it's not giving me internet access either, I'm not sure if that's needed or not
Still unsure of exactly what you're wanting to do.

You have a new SSD, there are two options to get the system running on this SSD.
1. A clone from the old drive to the new. For whatever reason, this failed.

That leaves #2.
A clean install on the new drive. OS, applications, everything.

Feb 15, 2020
Still unsure of exactly what you're wanting to do.

You have a new SSD, there are two options to get the system running on this SSD.
1. A clone from the old drive to the new. For whatever reason, this failed.

That leaves #2.
A clean install on the new drive. OS, applications, everything.
Right, which is what I'm trying to do. But when ingo into bios and switch the boot drive to the new ssd it comes up with the error "saying it cant boot from this drive, reboot system" or something along those lines

Feb 15, 2020
Have you actually installed the OS on the new SSD?
If so, did you do this with only the SSD connected?
I have not installed it on the new ssd yet, because like I mentioned earlier I tried cloning and it didnt work. So I was going to try to do what you suggested, but I start running into the problem with the whole boot up error like I mentioned earlier.
I'm sorry if I'm not being much help and troublesome. this is all new to me

USAFRet

Titan
I have not installed it on the new ssd yet, because like I mentioned earlier I tried cloning and it didnt work. So I was going to try to do what you suggested, but I start running into the problem with the whole boot up error like I mentioned earlier.
I'm sorry if I'm not being much help and troublesome. this is all new to me
You can't select the new drive to boot from (yet), because there is nothing on it to boot from.

Read through that install link I posted a few times to get familiar with the process.
Create your Win 10 bootable USB.
Then do the install on the new drive, exactly as that tutorial says.

Feb 15, 2020
You can't select the new drive to boot from (yet), because there is nothing on it to boot from.

Read through that install link I posted a few times to get familiar with the process.
Create your Win 10 bootable USB.
Then do the install on the new drive, exactly as that tutorial says.
Problem is, I cant download the media creation tool because i cant get around having to start my pc in boot manager which doesn't allow me to use internet.

USAFRet

Titan
Solution
Yes. You can log into your friend's PC. Have the media creation tool create a bootable USB for you.

Physically unplug your old drive from your PC. Insert your USB once it has finished creating.

In boot manager select the USB drive, allow it to start up, tell it you want to install Windows and follow it along from there.

Reactions: Miamifan2014