Trying to us both an HDMI cable and Display port cable on a single monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzberger

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
So I got a new rig and a new monitor. Specs needed for this discussion:
Windows 10, gtx 1070, i 7700k, acer predator xb271hu. So the connections are there but when I switch, via the monitor itself to display port, I get a display but no access to windows. Windows is up and running but on a phantom monitor, to my left to be exact. I have a task bar at the bottom also. Open something up and it does not appear (DP side) but is running on my phantom monitor. Nvidia control panel shows two monitors, one being g-sync capable. I see no option making them one. If I go into windows I make it one display but lose the display port side. Any suggestions? I have both the hdmi and dp cable connected. (was thinking I could switch via the monitor)

Solution
The OS thinks you have 2 monitors connected, in Extended display.
You need to make them Mirrored, or just use one cable. HDMI or DP.

troyg14

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017

I actually stumbled on this thread looking for something similar. I have a gaming PC and Mac, want to be able to use dual monitors on my Mac, or use my gaming PC + 1 Mac monitor. the caveat is that my gaming PC has to be connected to one monitor via DisplayPort only (with nothing in-between for 1440p 144hz gsync). My idea is to have this:

Gsync Monitor : DP---> PC, HDMI --> HDMI SWITCH----> Output 1. Gaming PC, Output 2. Mac
Regular 1440p Monitor: DP --> MAC

This way, I can have my GSYNC monitor @ 144hz to game on, and then the other monitor will be my Mac if I needed/wanted to use a Mac while having my game open without switching inputs. I will use share mouse virtual KVM software for this. The reason why I was searching this was I was unsure if my PC is connected to my DELL (sync) monitor with both a DP/HDMI switch, will my PC think there are two monitors attached? I suppose I could set them to "mirror" if it does but it would be nice if my PC only thought there was only one monitor. If I don't have this HDMI switch then my Mac see's two monitors and I have essentially a whole monitor that I can't see what I'm doing... that's problematic as you can imagine.

If I am just using my computer for computer tasks, I will manually put my GSYNC monitor on HDMI, use my switch to select my MAC input, and then have dual monitors for my Mac (I also have a usb switch that I push a single button and it switches all my usb devices).

Status
Not open for further replies.