Trying to use a laptop with XP to download ISO of Windows 10 to install on new computer.

JTM8282

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I just built a new computer and bought a Windows 10 Key and I am trying to use an old laptop running XP to create a bootable USB. When I download the Microsoft Tool and try to run the .EXE i get an error message :'MediaCreationTool.exe is not a valid Win32 application.' I believe that I just need to somehow download the ISO and use Rufus to burn it to the USB.

Is there an easier way to create a bootable USB Windows 10 drive? I am installing Linux on the new build now, but not sure how to run .exe on Linux. I've never used Linux before.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
the microsoft tool is the way to get the iso file. be sure you have the right one since one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. won't run on the wrong set-up. once it runs select "create install media for another pc" and it will start the download for you.

JTM8282

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I think I figured this out. It was redirecting me to the tool. I was running XP, and Microsoft displayed 'I can see you are running Windows 10...'

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the microsoft tool is the way to get the iso file. be sure you have the right one since one is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. won't run on the wrong set-up. once it runs select "create install media for another pc" and it will start the download for you.

Solution