Trying to use IRST in ServerCore'08 -Z68

deligator

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I am trying to do some HyperV happiness and got most of everything I need ... Except disk access is quite slow. I was hoping to set up the Disk Caching that I can do with this config under normal windows at the hardware level or inside the Hyper Visor. This is my first time working with Server core but I am getting along alright it all seems to be running well I just am looking for some more speed.

I have the Gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3
and the Patriot SSD 120GB

I think I have done pnputil properly for all the drivers... I just don't know if there is any way to set up the drive caching

any and all direction would be of assitance ( I have tried google and I might just need better search terms to find what I am looking for)

First, I'd like to find out if you have a typo or not.
Intel RST is Rapid Storage Technology, a set of drivers and, I think, utilities to manage storage in Windows.
Intel SRT is Smart Response Technology, which allows boards with a certain chipset to use a small SSD as a cache for HDDs.

Our member JohnnyLucky has a stock response that Smart Response Technology was really meant for people who could not afford OS-drive sized SSDs and wanted to use a small SSD to speed up the system as much as possible.

If I had a 120 GB SSD, I would install the OS on it and forget about cacheing. Oh, wait. I do, and I did. However, I have no idea how this applies to HyperV. The basic reason for putting the OS on the SSD is that your OS and applications are the things most likely to need massive random IO that will still fit on a relatively small drive. So instead of letting caching guess what you want fast access to, you decide in advance and put that data on the SSD.

I probably haven't addressed your question exactly, but I'm willing to go back-and-forth.

deligator

Honorable
May 11, 2012
SRT is what I am referring to

the point is that
in HyperV you cannot install the 10 different instances of Virtual OS all on an SSD (drive space for all that is ~100GB which leaves no real space to have any files or windows updates...

so my thought for working around this (and getting some of the SSD performance without having to have 500gigs of SSD is to have the SSD accelerate the Big Dumb Spinning drives that I use for all this data.

the issue is that HyperV in a SeverCore environment is a Text Based OS with very minimal GUI. Therefor the tool that is distributed to set up the Cache partition is not able to load.

Hopefully this helps you understand my circumstance

TRENDING THREADS