Question Trying to use laptop SATA HDD as external HDD

joejim

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
I have 500GB, SATA 2, 2.5" WD, Model: WD5000BEKT- 75KA9T0 that was used in a laptop. Now I wanna use it as external HDD.
I have a external HDD controller that I am using now with 500GB SATA 3, 3.5" Hitachi HDS721050DLE630. No problem reading Hitachi HDD.
But when I connect laptop WD HDD, no drive letter shown in explorer, but only as CD drive.
HDD shows in Device manager, and in disk management as "not initialized" "unallocated" HDD.
I thought maybe WD HDD is corrupted (I know it;s not cus I used in laptop)
So I went to local computer stores (over 5 stores) and connect to their external HDD controllers, My WD HDD show fine, nothing wrong with HDD.

I have desktop, windows 10 PC, So the question is why external SATA controller will not read laptop HDD?
Is it my external controller problem? (I think not cus it read Hitachi HDD)
Is it my desktop? I tried other computers near my home (Win 7/8/10, even Vista). All can't read, only show as CD drive.
Is laptop WD HDD, SATA 2 incompatible with my external controller? cus computer store SATA controllers can read WD HDD but not my SATA external controller.

Laptop WD HDD is 2.5" and old Hitachi HDD is 3.5". Does that make difference?

Any ideas??

joejim

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Then initialize it, create partition,format and assign drive letter.

Yes.
I think you missed my question. If you care to read my question again?

I said VERY CLEARLY...NOTHING wrong with my HDD (WD HDD), I said other computer stores SATA external controllers can read it, NO problem.
So why do I wanna format and loose all my files?? STUPID? if you ask me.

Also why is controller the problem when I can still read old 3.5" HDD? Again, STUPID?

I am looking for an old timer with tons of practical experience, seen lotta strange things, Maybe they can shed little wisdom?

BTW I am shocked that you didn;t tell me to buy a new controller. LOL

Also why is controller the problem when I can still read old 3.5" HDD? Again, STUPID?
Because - your external sata to usb controller most likely uses some non-standard drive partitioning.
Drive formatted on this controller, when connected to pc directly, will appear as not-initialized/unformatted. Same thing with drive formatted on your laptop - when connected via this sata to usb controller, will appear as not-initialized/unformatted.
To use your drive in combination with this controller, it must be partitioned/formatted using this controller.

It's kind of obvious and not stupid at all.
Sorry, I didn't explain it to you before. But then again - it's kind of obvious.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS