manvswilderness

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
I am trying to create either a raid 5, or a raid 6 array in my new R730XD running Windows Server 2019, but I am running into a problem. I can create a simple (raid 0), and a mirrored (raid 1) array just fine, but when I try to use any kind of parity I receive an odd error. It errors and says: "The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk." I have 8 x 14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives in the machine, and I am trying to create the raid array with four of them, using a fifth for a hot spare. Please Help! I am testing this out now, and must get this working before I deploy it to a client.

manvswilderness

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Are the drives offline to the host OS, enabling them to be allocated directly to a virtual machine?

Are you using an HBA, or an actual RAID card (there are approved HBAs for use with Storage Spaces Direct, which is merely software raid with a new name...

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...gament-vs-storage-spaces?forum=winserverfiles

When my client finally makes a decision on which server to get it will be one of these two:

PERC H730p 2GB NV -12G SAS,6G SATA- (RAID 0,1,5,6,10,50,60)
or
PERC H710p 1GB NVWC 6G (RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50, 60)

But for now my testing has been in VMware Workstation 11. (I haven't upgraded VMware due to the fact that I have a lifetime liscence for 11.)