Question Trying tto get a good WiFi connection back

May 29, 2024
So I've had a replacement motherboard put in my PC and so far it seems to be coping much better than before on Ethernet (yay - it was really struggling!)

The router I currently have (EE SmartHub Plus) has been randomly disconnecting/causing a poor connection(for example, last night it stopped working at all for about five or ten minutes). I initally suspected this might have been a fault with the FTTP line, but I had an engineer out a few weeks ago, who corrected some issues, but this didn't fix much. My provider (EE) says there are no issues with the FTTP line.

So i'm now looking for a router (probably only willing to spend around £100) - any recommendations would be appreciated (happy to consider used if that offers the best value)

So first a fancy router will not do you much good if your end device can not also support the features. The vast majority of end users devices are what would be called ac-1200. You can find many routers under $50, some unknown brands are like $25.

Do not get tempted by fancy router that talk about 4x4 mimo with lots of antenna. Most end devices only have 2 antenna and can not use the other features.

That said the price of routers have been dropping a lot. Wifi6e routers used to be $400 or more just a couple years ago. Now that wifi7 is out they want you to pay $900 for those.

I have not used this router but linksys has pretty good customer service and puts out fairly regular software updates even on their older stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Tri-Band-Reliable-Connect-Coverage/dp/B0BVZHXFG6

Be aware there is no way to tell if any router will work better or worse for you. It all depends on your house, your neighbors wifi and your end devices and their location in your house. It is completely unpredictable unfortunately. The name brand on the outside of the router means little the wifi chips that do all the work are made by 2 or 3 companies and all the router makers use them

The router I linked is one of the cheapest wifi6e routers I have seen from a reputable company. Do not buy wifi6 (without the E). If this is too expensive or you feel your end devices will not benifit but wifi5....ie 802.11ac.

TRENDING THREADS