News TSMC and Samsung Foundry Becoming Dominant Makers of Advanced Chips

Meanwhile, Intel has extremely capable x86 CPU architectures that offer higher single-thread performance when compared to those from AMD.
they have what 2 cpu's with faster single thread?

and below them is Apple's 1st M1 chip (it will only get better in time)
and below that is basically every single ryzen 5k series which come with the benefit of monstrous multi(which with how gen to gen improvements go for ryzen will also get better with time)

and the future isnt even in single thread as eventually most things will transition to multi thread.

Hopefully Intel doesnt encounter another issue liek it had for past 5+yrs else they wont be competitive in any of the fields.

and the future isnt even in single thread as eventually most things will transition to multi thread.
Tell that to AMD when they made Bulldozer.

But on a more serious note, single thread performance forms the backbone of the entire CPU. There's still plenty of operations that cannot be effectively multithreaded or they hit a wall real fast when multithreaded. Plus there's the issue that the more cores you have, the more complicated the computer's infrastructure has to be. Sure, a 64C/128T mainstream processor might sound amazing, but if you limit it to dual channel memory so people don't have to buy a whole bunch of RAM to feed it, you're going to have a bad time trying to use it to its fullest potential.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I couldn't agree more with the general analysis.

What's missing is the geopolitical angle.

Currently if I was Intel, I'd be severely tempted to trick China into making an early grab for Taiwan e.g. by having the US send a carrier or two towards the North Philippine sea to shut down TMSC rather completely. With a bit of help from North Korea making noises that might even drive Apple back into Intel arms.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Great article. Was Intel stuck between meeting demand for its current technology and r&d of future tech.? A Cortex video suggested something about this concept. I don't think the US can spend 150 billion with the mess we are in, but its kinda like the space race but against China this time with cpu tech.

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020
Great article. Was Intel stuck between meeting demand for its current technology and r&d of future tech.? A Cortex video suggested something about this concept. I don't think the US can spend 150 billion with the mess we are in, but its kinda like the space race but against China this time with cpu tech.
We just threw $1.9 trillion out the door, we should throw $150 billion to make our own fabs. Concentrating all the world's cutting edge silicon production in a potentially volatile area of the world is too risky. Just look at what's happening to auto production....

The transition to multithreaded ended like a decade ago, ever since then you can calculate how much computing power you need for a project to finish at a given time send your work to the cloud and get it back on time.
The future now is with AI and vector, things that need a lot of computation but have to happen , in the best case, in real-time.

OriginFree

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
We just threw $1.9 trillion out the door, we should throw $150 billion to make our own fabs. Concentrating all the world's cutting edge silicon production in a potentially volatile area of the world is too risky. Just look at what's happening to auto production....
Yep $1.9 trillion on medication and the poor regardless of state or voting preferences. What a waste!
I'm assuming your part of that 1% who got the $1.5 trillion Trump tax cut which helped out thousands of suffering multi-millionaires.

Now that stupid comment aside you are correct, with the climate changing (just to pick one of many reasons) it's probably not great to keep most of the cutting edge fabs in one region. One really bad storm season and that year's chip production is effectively dead. How many times have we seen power outages or storms killing "months" of production.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Yep $1.9 trillion on medication and the poor regardless of state or voting preferences. What a waste!
I'm assuming your part of that 1% who got the $1.5 trillion Trump tax cut which helped out thousands of suffering multi-millionaires.

Now that stupid comment aside you are correct, with the climate changing (just to pick one of many reasons) it's probably not great to keep most of the cutting edge fabs in one region. One really bad storm season and that year's chip production is effectively dead. How many times have we seen power outages or storms killing "months" of production.
I read an article that a whole bunch of the stimulus money went straight into cryptocurrencys. I would agree that tax cuts to the ultra wealthy is a terrible idea. It seems our past republican presidents keep extending the tax breaks

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I couldn't agree more with the general analysis.

What's missing is the geopolitical angle.

Currently if I was Intel, I'd be severely tempted to trick China into making an early grab for Taiwan e.g. by having the US send a carrier or two towards the North Philippine sea to shut down TMSC rather completely. With a bit of help from North Korea making noises that might even drive Apple back into Intel arms.

I don't think China needs any help in that department. Recent events have shown us that they can do whatever they want and nobody will do anything about it. Google: Uighur camps

magbarn

Reputable
Dec 9, 2020

No, trump's stupid "tax cuts" actually increased my taxes paid per year and will likely get worst as I live in a blue state in which his tax law was designed to punish. I really wish that $1.9T was actually for the poor and medication, but considering a client of mine who owns 9 houses free and clear and his family on paper makes "only" $100,000 income per year is going to get $3000+ due to stimulus checks and child credits is baffling. Both sides are stupid in their spending.

Global warming is a future threat but China is the mean reason why that area is volatile. Global warming is much more of a long term issue.
All China would have to do is take over Taiwan and suddenly all of our high tech factories go to a screeching halt.

Last edited:

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
  1. Intel's CPUs were the fastest in the industry.
  2. Intel's microarchitectures and CPU designs were scalable for all market segments.
  3. Intel had enough power to ensure that its architectural innovations were supported by software makers.
  4. Intel had the best process technologies, which could offset certain imperfections of its microarchitectures or design.
  5. Intel could produce CPUs in volumes unachievable by any of its competitors.
  6. Since Intel was the de facto leader of the semiconductor market both financially and technologically, it set standards for the rest of the industry, which further ensured its leadership position.
  7. While Intel competed against most companies in the semiconductor industry, it could build alliances or partnerships that strengthened it (e.g., with Microsoft, Dell, HP, Apple, and ATI Technologies) and helped it to better compete.
  8. Intel spent hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing and advertising, usually more than all of its rivals combined.

Intel were, was, had, could...
Thit very well represents the current state of intel

Last edited:

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
"Intel has ... CPU(s) ...that offer higher single-thread performance when compared to .... AMD. "

But we now that this hasn't been true for months now. Or is the author referring to scores by benchmarks that are "sponsored" by Intel to make it look better? Or are we talking about unverified benchmark leaks form processors that haven't yet hit the market?

I miss Toms Hardware back from the day when Tom still owned it.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"Intel has ... CPU(s) ...that offer higher single-thread performance when compared to .... AMD. "

But we now that this hasn't been true for months now. Or is the author referring to scores by benchmarks that are "sponsored" by Intel to make it look better? Or are we talking about unverified benchmark leaks form processors that haven't yet hit the market?

I miss Toms Hardware back from the day when Tom still owned it.
Though not officially released yet, the 11700k has been available for purchase for a little while now, and many review sites have been able to purchase them and run them through their own benchmark suites. Retail chips don't fall under Intel's NDA, and since Intel supplied review samples, and any review materials/Intel benchmarks supplied with them still are under NDA, these early reviews are the exact opposite of an Intel sponsored benchmark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts