News TSMC Arizona achieves production yields similar to those at its fabs in Taiwan, says report

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
Not likely Intel has laid off experienced fab workers, that is the core business and a sector they are still expanding in.
Uhh you do realize there’s articles all over the internet that they’re actually trying to sell 18a/20a to TSMC, right? I imagine they’d be happy to provide the workers along with it.

Reactions: pround_taiwanese

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Uhh you do realize there’s articles all over the internet that they’re actually trying to sell 18a/20a to TSMC, right? I imagine they’d be happy to provide the workers along with it.
Rumors of splitting off the foundry as a separate business does not equal downsizing existing fab employees. Selling to their main competitor, I don't see that happening. The US, at the least, would do their utmost to prevent that.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Not likely Intel has laid off experienced fab workers, that is the core business and a sector they are still expanding in.
Normally, this would be the case, but I read recently that Intel is also planning on giving people monetary incentives to quit, because the monetary incentive will be less costly than a severance pay. Good engineers who are fed up with Intel might take Intel up on that offer.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Rumors of splitting off the foundry as a separate business does not equal downsizing existing fab employees. Selling to their main competitor, I don't see that happening. The US, at the least, would do their utmost to prevent that.
The US has given TSMC ~6 billion grant to build a foundry in US. It's seems to me that US government would not prevent a sale of a US foundry to TSMC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rumors aside, Intel has recently announced that they are canning 20a. They could shift those employees to 18a, but if 18a is already staffed, Intel will have no need for the 20a engineers anymore, at least for some.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The US has given TSMC ~6 billion grant to build a foundry in US. It's seems to me that US government would not prevent a sale of a US foundry to TSMC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Rumors aside, Intel has recently announced that they are canning 20a. They could shift those employees to 18a, but if 18a is already staffed, Intel will have no need for the 20a engineers anymore, at least for some.

It would be making yourself beholden to a single vendor for any potential domestically produced strategic resources. And a foreign owned one at that. Would also fall under monopoly territory as well.

20a and 18a are the same facility is my understanding. So 18A I think is the same staff.

Sep 13, 2024
They already sold one of their legacy nodes to UMC[1] and called it a "co-developed" 12nm process, so I would not be surprised if there is an under-table negotiation going on while Pat himself publicly fearmongering the U.S. public.

[1] https://www.umc.com/en/News/press_release/Content/corporate/20240125

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
I didn’t say anything about the rumors of splitting off the fabs. There’s a separate rumor that they only want to sell 18a/20a but keep Intel 3 & 4 in house (probably because nobody would buy those as an IP instead of a turn-key foundry since they’re not particularly great nodes for anything requiring efficiency)