News TSMC Chairman: No Need to Expand Fabs in U.S. and Europe

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I think it is very likely that Beijing is pulling the strings here...l would think TSMC would be delighted to set up shop in the US as it would be a first step to freeing themselves from the Chinese dictatorship.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
lol good luck there.

CCP's disregard for bejing's ppl and Taiwan (which the CCP has stated WILL be reunified even if its bloody..) as well as the whole expanding in the sea they dont own is more likely to result in war not peace...
Taiwan pays for peace by letting CCP interfere in Taiwanese businesses. The current governament is fed up with China's interference though as it limits what Taiwain can do but they don't want Taiwan freed with constant flow of blood.

Co BIY

Splendid
Although clearly CCP influence plays a role in these major decisions by Taiwanese companies, this is also essentially a conservative move by TSMC. All their major production is currently in Taiwan and their entire supply chain (heavily integrated into mainland China) is built around that system.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

Keep in mind that 5% of Taiwanese citizens physically work in mainland China. The two economies are very deeply integrated, that is Taiwan's largest economic advantage. If those ties were broken the damage would be perhaps painful for China but it would be devastating for Taiwan.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel TSMC's decision not to expand further makes sense. Starting a fab is not cheap, and once that becomes sunk cost, it will be a loss to them if they cannot fully utilize it. US wants a fab onshore because of political reasons, but once TSMC sets up shop there, they are on their own. Demand is very high now because COVID disrupted manufacturing and supply big time in 2020. Whether that demand will continue to be strong for the years ahead is questionable. And I believe TSMC should have factored this point in for their expansion plans.

TRENDING THREADS